FAQs (Undergraduate Students)

*Information below may be subject to change* HSSEAS policies are different from the College of Letters and Science – therefore, you should check with your OASA counselor, 6426 BH, whenever you have a question.

Popular FAQs

+ Counselors Availability: When are the academic counselors available?

The Counselors and Staff of the HSSEAS Office of Academic and Student Affairs (OASA), 6426 BH, are available to assist you and answer your
questions. You can e-mail your OASA Counselor, List of Academic Counselors, or call (310)825-9580 to schedule an appointment. We do not do same day appointments.


  • Advising by Appointment
    • Available Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesday afternoons and Fridays.
    •  We do not do same day appointments.
    • Call (310) 825-9580 or stop by 6426BH to set up an appointment.
  •   Walk-in Counseling*
    •  Available Wednesdays (9:00am-11:30am) and Thursdays (1:00pm-4:00pm)
    •  On a first-come limited basis (normally 15 minute appointments.)
    •  During peak advising periods, students should be prepared to have a significant wait period to see a counselor depending on the number of students who are signed in ahead on the walk-in advising check-in list and especially if you are requesting to see a specific counselor. Plan accordingly and give yourself a sufficient amount of time.  Limited to HSSEAS students only.  If you are a non-HSSEAS student and are considering a change of major to   HSSEAS, please sign up for our change of major workshop.* check upcoming office closures at OASA AND there will be no walk-in advising available for the following days due to new student orientation


+ Deadlines to drop/add: When are the deadlines to drop/add a course?

The deadline to:

  • Drop an Impacted course is the last business day (usually Friday) of 2nd Week at 5 PM.
  • Add a course is the last business day of 3rd Week at 5 PM.
  • Drop a course is the last business day of 4th Week at 5 PM.
  • Change a course to P/NP is the last business day of 6th Week at 5 PM.

For updated dates, please check this link: Drop Deadlines.

Quick Links

Advising and Grading Options & Policies

+ Academic Probation: What does it mean if I’m on academic probation or subject to dismissal?

You will be placed on probation if your term or overall grade-point average (GPA) falls between 1.5 and 1.99. You will be subject to dismissal if your grade-point average in any one term is less than 1.5 OR if you do not earn at least a C (2.0) average in any one term when you were on probation OR if you do not end probation by the end of the next term. Subject to Dismissal does not mean that you are going to be immediately dismissed; however, you must make an appointment to meet with your OASA Counselor who will explain the conditions under which you will be allowed to continue. You should meet with your Counselor in the Office of Academic and Student Affairs (OASA, 6426 BH) if you have been notified that you are on academic probation or subject to dismissal.

+ Academic Standing: What does it mean if I’m in “good academic standing”?

You are in “good academic standing” if at the close of a regular term you have attained a “C” (2.0) average for the term and a cumulative “C” (2.0) average in all University work.

+ Class Rank: Does UCLA provide ranking information?

UCLA does not provide official rank information as outlined at http://www.aim.ucla.edu/FAQs/classrank.asp

You can have some indication of how you measure up against your peers, by reviewing the Latin Honors cutoff for the academic year
you graduate (or present academic year if your degree completion term is well into the future and not yet determined).

For example if your degree completion term was Fall ‘10 or you plan to complete after the Winter ‘11 term, your degree completion academic year
is 2010-11 and you may compare your standing to other students by a statement such as follows:

“UCLA does not assign individual rankings to students. If you receive Latin Honors, you have some indication of how you
measure up against your peers. For HSSEAS, if you graduated summa cum laude, you’re in the top 5% of your class; magna cum laude, top 10%; cum laude, top 20%.”

More Information can be found at this link: Latin Honors

Additionally, you can contact your HSSEAS academic counselor who may be able to give you unofficial, limited rank information, run from an internal HSSEAS report.

+ Counselors Availability: When are the academic counselors available?

The Counselors and Staff of the HSSEAS Office of Academic and Student Affairs (OASA), 6426 BH, are available to assist you and answer your
questions. You can e-mail your OASA Counselor, List of Academic Counselors, or call (310)825-9580 to schedule an appointment. We do not do same day appointments.


  • Advising by Appointment
    • Available Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesday afternoons and Fridays.
    •  We do not do same day appointments.
    • Call (310) 825-9580 or stop by 6426BH to set up an appointment.
  •   Walk-in Counseling*
    •  Available Wednesdays (9:00am-11:30am) and Thursdays (1:00pm-4:00pm)
    •  On a first-come limited basis (normally 15 minute appointments.)
    •  During peak advising periods, students should be prepared to have a significant wait period to see a counselor depending on the number of students who are signed in ahead on the walk-in advising check-in list and especially if you are requesting to see a specific counselor. Plan accordingly and give yourself a sufficient amount of time.  Limited to HSSEAS students only.  If you are a non-HSSEAS student and are considering a change of major to   HSSEAS, please sign up for our change of major workshop.* check upcoming office closures at OASA AND there will be no walk-in advising available for the following days due to new student orientation


+ Incomplete Grade: What is an “I” Incomplete grade?

Incomplete Grades

The instructor may assign the incomplete (I) grade under the following conditions: the student must ask the Instructor for the I grade, the student’s work must be of passing quality and the reasons for requesting the I grade must be of sufficient gravity to warrant an incomplete grade (such as illness or other serious problem). It is the student’s responsibility to discuss with the instructor the possibility of receiving an I grade as opposed to a nonpassing grade.  However, a professor may certainly reach out to a student and suggest an incomplete if they feel the situation is appropriate.

How do these rules apply to students who miss a final exam?  If a student does not take the final exam and never contacts the instructor, the student receives the grade they have earned with their completed work up to that point, usually an F.  Consistent with the above discussion, if a student contacts the instructor providing a   valid and documented reason (e.g. illness), the student will receive an incomplete (I), if and only if the student has a passing grade (C- or higher) at that point.  Again, a professor may reach out to a student who misses a final if they feel it is appropriate.  If an incomplete is given, the student must make arrangements with the instructor to take the final exam the following quarter.  


If an I grade is assigned, students may receive unit credit and grade points by satisfactorily completing the coursework as specified by the instructor. Students should not re-enroll in the course; if they do, it is recorded twice on the transcript. If the work is not completed by the end of the next full term in residence, the I grade lapses to an F, NP, or U as appropriate. The College or school may extend the deadline in unusual cases (not applicable to graduate students). Once an Incomplete (I) grade is assigned, it remains on the transcript along with the passing grade students may later receive for the course.

+ Pass/No Pass: Is it possible to take a course on P/NP grading?

Required math, science and engineering courses must be taken for a letter grade.
HSSEAS students may choose the P/NP grading option for courses that qualify as GEs (except Engcomp 3, Engr 183EW, Engr 185EW and life sciences courses taken by Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering majors and students following the Biomedical Option of Electrical Engineering), students must meet P/NP eligibility requirements – stop by 6426 BH for details or go to Deadlines and Enrollment Policies page.

+ Repeating Courses: Do I have to repeat a course that I received a C- in?

Grades above an “F” do not have to be repeated (with the exception of the Ethics course requirements (ENGR 183EW, ENGR 185EW, BIOENGR 165EW), English 3, Subject A, English as a Second Language, and American History and Institutions required courses which all must be passed with a minimum grade of “C”).

If a course is required for your major and you receive an “F”, you must repeat it.

You may have the option to repeat courses in which you have received a “C-” or lower grade or NP if you have not previously repeated that course.

Some Departments (such as Chem) recommend that students earn at least a “C-” or higher before going on to the next level course and this information is normally specified in the requisite information in the course description such as:
Chem 20B. Chemical Energetics and Change. (4) Lecture, three hours; discussion, one hour. Enforced requisites: course 20A or 20AH, and Mathematics 31A, with grades of C- or better.

Some departments (such as Math) may have credit limitations on repeats which are usually noted in the General catalog in the section for that department under Credit Limitations such as:
Credit Limitations: For lower division mathematics courses, students may not take or repeat a course for credit if it is a requisite for a more advanced lower division course for which they already have credit. This applies in particular to the repetition of courses (e.g., if students wish to repeat Mathematics 31B, they must do so before completing course 32B; if students wish to repeat Mathematics 3B or 31B or 32A, they must do so before completing course 33A).

You must meet certain GPA requirements to graduate. If you receive a grade lower than “C”, you are advised to meet with your OASA Counselor.

See more repeat rule information detailed below under “How many courses can I repeat and will the first grade be removed from my transcript? ”

+ Repeating Courses: How many courses can I repeat and will the first grade be removed from my transcript?

The grade assigned each time you take a course will be permanently recorded on your transcript.

  1. To improve the grade-point average, students may repeat only those courses in which they receive a grade of C- or lower; NP or U grades may be repeated to gain unit credit. Courses in which a letter grade is received may not be repeated on a P/NP or S/U basis. Courses originally taken on a P/NP or S/U basis may be repeated on the same basis or for a letter grade.
  2. Repetition of a course more than once requires the approval of the College or school or the dean of the Graduate Division, and is granted only under extraordinary circumstances.
  3. Degree credit for a course is given only once, but the grade assigned each time the course is taken is permanently recorded on the transcript.
  4. For undergraduates who repeat a total of 16 units or less, only the most recently earned letter grades and grade
    points are computed in the GPA. After repeating 16 units, however, the GPA is based on all letter grades assigned and total units attempted.
  5. There is no guarantee that in a later term a course can be repeated (such as in cases when  a course is deleted or no longer offered).  In these cases a student should consult with their academic counselor to determine if there is an alternate course the student needs to take to satisfy a requirement.  The alternate course would NOT count as a repeat of the original course.

Enrollment Policies and Deadlines

+ Appointment times for enrollment – how are they assigned?

Per the Registrar’s Office, Undergraduates eligible to enroll for the next term do so during two randomly assigned appointments,
which fall within pass periods that are prioritized as follows:

Priority pass
160 or more degree units and declared candidacy to graduate in next two terms
160 or more units
New and re-entering students
135–159.9 units
90–134.9 units
45–89.9 units
0–44.9 units

The Registrar’s full explanation is detailed at the following website


Effective W16, in order to ensure that students have access to courses that are appropriate for their “true class” level,
a new system was devised by the UCLA campus that eliminated AP and IB units from the calculations of appointment times.
The new appointments are based on where a student is according to their true year in school, so that students may get access to the courses that they need in order to graduate.
For example, a true senior who needs a course for their major will no longer be competing for a course with a student who has senior
standing due to AP units.
Previously, the appointment times had more students at certain levels, creating large numbers of students enrolling  in certain class size times (e.g., freshman, sophomores, juniors, seniors) that were not consistent with the actual class size.
In addition, some students would have an enrollment time that allowed them to take courses that they were not necessarily ready for academically.

The units from AP and IB tests still count and apply toward certain course degree requirements as detailed for HSSEAS at
AP/IB units also will count towards class standing – for example, if a student wants to take a course that is restricted to
“JUNIORS AND ABOVE”  a student can do so if the AP/IB units puts that student at the junior level.
The removal of AP/IB units only affects the system of assigning enrollment appointment times.
In addition, taking AP and IB courses counted toward a student’s admission to UCLA.


+ Change of Major out of HSSEAS: Considering a change out of HSSEAS?

We encourage you to see your HSSEAS Counselor and the College of Letters of Science Counselors and UCLA Career Counselors

+ Change of Major within HSSEAS: Considering a change of major within HSSEAS?

More information can be found on the Change of Major Website
In general, if in doubt, see your academic counselor.

+ Deadlines to drop/add: When are the deadlines to drop/add a course?

The deadline to:

  • Drop an Impacted course is the last business day (usually Friday) of 2nd Week at 5 PM.
  • Add a course is the last business day of 3rd Week at 5 PM.
  • Drop a course is the last business day of 4th Week at 5 PM.
  • Change a course to P/NP is the last business day of 6th Week at 5 PM.

For updated dates, please check this link: Drop Deadlines.

+ Dropping Courses: My friend, who is in the College of Letters & Science, says that I can drop a course through 10th week of the term. – Is that true?

No, the deadline (Deadlines and Enrollment Policies) to drop a non-impacted course for HSSEAS students is Friday of fourth week of the term via myUCLA until 5 p.m., even if it is an  L&S course. The deadline to drop an impacted course is second week of the term. The new deadline to add any course is Friday of third week.

+ Dropping vs. Withdrawing: What is the difference between dropping a course and withdrawing?

To “drop” a course means to dis-enroll from one (or more) specific course(s), while continuing to attend others. HSSEAS students must meet drop deadlinesand must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 units per term. To “withdraw” means to discontinue attendance in ALL courses in which you are enrolled. HSSEAS students MUST file a Notice of Withdrawal at the Office of Academic and Student Affairs, 6426 BH. Withdrawal requests are subject to review and approval by the Dean. You may file a request to withdraw for consideration only if you have not taken any final examinations or otherwise completed the work in any of your classes.

+ Enrollment Options: Need help with enrollment options in undergraduate courses?

The following tips can be helpful when you are enrolling each term:

– prepare ahead by logging onto HSSEAS Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS) and knowing your course options needed to degree completion AND schedule an appointment to see your Academic Counselor BEFORE your enrollment begins

– do NOT enroll in time conflicted courses on the assumption that you will get into another section or a more preferred course at a later date

– when you begin to enroll, if you get a message from myUCLA stating the you do not meet the per-requisite or enrollment restrictions refer to here.

–   if you are attempting to enroll in a course and the course is closed,  it is best that you EMAIL the lead counselor of the department that the course is under (e.g. CS course – email CS Counselor, Math course – email Math Counselor) BEFORE the term begins. Once the term starts there be limited assistance a counselor can give you, so be open to work with us.

The following contacts can update you as to the enrollment status of courses in their departments:

Bioengineering BE_Message_Center

Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering ChE_Message_Center

Civil and Environmental Engineering CE_Message_Center

Computer Science CS_CSE_Message_Center

Electrical Engineering EE_Message_Center

Materials Science and Engineering MSE_Message_Center

Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering MAE_Message_Center

Chemistry, http://www.chemistry.ucla.edu/pages/ugrad/counseling

Mathematics, http://www.math.ucla.edu/ugrad/counsel.shtml

Physics, http://www.pa.ucla.edu/


+ Enrollment Restriction: myUCLA will not let me enroll due to an enrollment restriction and the course is needed for my major – how can I get enrolled?

Many departments limit FIRST pass enrollment to students in that department’s major(s) and then open the course enrollment to other majors either: Specific to Chemistry – click here

– during SECOND pass.  This is the case with most HSSEAS courses (e.g. Bioengineering courses have a first pass enrollment restriction to bioengineering majors, then the courses open to other HSSEAS majors second pass).


– specific to Com Sci 31, fall term offerings, after new student Summer Orientation (late August)

Priority Enrollment-  myUCLA will not allow priority enrollment for courses that have a wait list option only.  You must add yourself to the wait list during your FIRST pass.

+ Fee Reduction: I heard I can enroll in 10 units or less and get my fees reduced. Is this true?

HSSEAS undergraduates must enroll in 12-21 units each quarter. Students wishing to enroll in less than 12 units or more than 21 units must obtain approval by petition to the Associate Dean, 6426 Boelter Hall, prior to enrollment. Filing a petition does not guarantee approval. Normally HSSEAS students are only approved, by petition, to enroll in less than 12 units for reasons of: final term before degree completion and only needs less than 12 units to complete degree, employment with verification that student is working 20 or more hours a week or due to on going medical limitations with verification from doctor or trained professional,  Students approved by petition to enroll in 10 units or less may only be eligible for reduced fees as outlined at fee reduction. For more information go to the HSSEAS Office of Academic and Student Affairs, 6426BH.

+ Full /Closed Courses: I can’t enroll in a course because it is full, is there anything I can do?

If you cannot enroll in a course because that course is full, we encourage you to view the information posted at the following website (which includes a survey where you can register your interest in enrolling in a specific course):HSSEAS Enrollment Consideration Request Form

For Chemistry specifically – click here for direction

+ Graduate Courses: As an undergraduate can I enroll in a graduate level course (courses numbered 200 and above)?

HSSEAS undergraduate students are not allowed to enroll in graduate level courses without first obtaining approval by petition at 6426BH.
See your HSSEAS Academic Counselor for more details. Students  must meet requisites and have at minimum a 3.0 GPA for approval consideration.

+ Late Enrollment Appointment: How come I received a late enrollment appointment?

Enrollment assignments are done by the Registrar’s Office and not by the School of Engineering.

Based on class level, enrollment appointments are assigned randomly within the times and dates shown at the Registrar’s and are based on student status when appointments are assigned.  Find exact enrollment appointment times through myUCLA.

Please refer to the Registrar’s link for clarification:


If you are a senior nearing graduation you are advised make sure you have declared a degree expected term at your earliest to ensure you receive the appropriate enrollment appointment.

+ Prerequisites: myUCLA says I do not meet the requisites, what is the problem?

myUCLA may not recognize AP credit, EAP credit, or transfer credit from another school.  myUCLA may also have trouble recognizing approved petition substitutions for required courses.

If you believe you fulfilled the requisite through a course you took at another school then you should contact the department that teaches that course for enrollment assistance.   In most cases myUCLA will give you a warning that you can bypass and still enroll.  However, the CHEMISTRYCOMPUTER SCIENCE,  ELECTRICALLIFE SCIENCESMATHEMATICSMECHANICAL & AEROSPACE and STATISTICS Departments do enforce all the requisites for their undergraduate courses. You are advised to first check if you meet the requisites for the course and if you do, then contact the department directly as outlined below:

For courses in the following HSSEAS Departments, send a message to associate message center AND INCLUDE the below information:


Name (official name, not your nickname):
UCLA UID number (9 digit, no spaces or dashes, for example: 404111222)
Course Name: (ex: MAE 162E)
9-Digit Course ID Number (ex: 210676200):
Discussion Section and/or Lab Section: (ex: 1A)
9-Digit Disc. Section Number (ex: 210676201):
*Juniors and Seniors should have a degree expected term declared*

As long as your requisite credit is confirmed, there is room in the course, you have an active pass time, and you fall within the current
enrollment restrictions, you will be manually enrolled.  Please note that if your pass time begins during a weekend or during any campus
holidays/closures, you will be enrolled at the first opportunity.  If a course is full, please submit an Enrollment Consideration Request (ECR).


Chemistry Department

Enrollment for Chemistry 20L, 30AL and 113A is restricted on priority/1st pass to majors only (Chemistry, Biochemistry & Chemistry Material Science).

 Enrollment  will be normally open to all majors on campus at some point during the 2nd  pass

If student has transfer credit for Chemistry 20A and/or 20B or AP credit for 20A you may have difficulty enrolling in 20B (on 1st or 2nd pass) or 20L on 2ndpass.

 If your having difficulty enrolling you will need to send Denise ( or )  an e-mail at the time of your appointment with the following information:

Your full name
Your student ID number
The course you wish to enroll into and
The course  ID number of the section you wish to enroll into (3 choices preferably)

{Please note that if the section is full including the waiting list Chem will not be able to enroll you in that section}

Please do not sent numerous e-mails, if I have not responded to you within 24 hours you can then e-mail me back.

Please only send these e-mails at the exact time of your appointment, I do not store e-mails and look back on them.  Emails will be checked in the
evening and on the weekends during the enrollment period. 

Confirmation will be sent once the enrollment is completed.


Life Sciences

Students who have questions about course equivalencies, or who need enrollment assistance into any of the Life Sciences classes (LS 1, 2, 3, 4,
etc.), speak directly to the Life Sciences Core Office.  The LS Core Office is located at 2305 Life Sciences, and is open from 9:00AM to
12:00PM and 1:00 to 3:00PM.  The office can be contacted either via e-mail (lscore@lifesci.ucla.edu) or by telephone at (310) 825-6614.

Mathematics Department

Office address: 6356 MSB


Statistics Department

UCLA Department of Statistics, Student Services
8125 Math Sciences Bldg.
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
Attn: Glenda Jones, Student Affairs Officer

+ Study List: What is my “study list” and where can I print it out?

Your study list refers to the courses in which you are enrolled for the term.

You can obtain a copy of your study list by logging onto myucla. You are advised to check your study list during the second week of each quarter to confirm your enrollment (checking second week will give you time to add or drop a course by the HSSEAS third week add deadline and fourth week drop deadline of non-impacted courses, if changes are needed). Check Study List at the beginning of 3rd week if on wait list for any course at end of 2nd week – wait list does NOT guarantee enrollment.

Faculty Advising Questions

+ Availability: How would I know when a faculty member is available to meet?

On MyEngineering, the student can click on “Change/View Advisors” and they can see each professor’s advising hours and office location.  They can also click “Contact” for the instructor’s email address.

+ Completion: How would I know that my visit has been recorded?

Students who have not yet had a recorded meeting with a faculty member during the current school year will get a warning message when they log in to MyEngineering.

+ Discussion Content: What are we supposed to talk about with our Faculty Advisor?

You can ask them questions about the field that they are involved in.  You can discuss research opportunities, whether or not to pursue graduate school, companies in the field that have hired UCLA graduates in the past, or you can even discuss how the faculty member ended up as a professor.

+ Frequency: How often am I supposed to meet with my faculty advisor?

HSSEAS students are expected to meet with their advisor at least once a year.  Your faculty advisor will post his/her office hours on MyEngineering.  Those students who have not met with their faculty advisor by the beginning of the 4th week of the spring quarter will have holds placed on their records.  Students are strongly encouraged to meet with their faculty advisors during the faculty member’s special advising hours during 2nd or 3rd week, but they may also try to contact them and set up meetings for other times.

+ Holds: How can I get rid of a hold on my record?

When you meet with your faculty member, make sure that he/she clicks off on MyEngineering that you have been seen.

+ Purpose: Why do I have to meet with my Faculty Advisor every year?

HSSEAS feels that it is important for students to develop relationships with faculty.  While students often don’t feel like they don’t have questions for the faculty early in their college careers, we feel that interacting with faculty early will make them feel more comfortable asking faculty for help in the future when it is more important.  A letter of recommendation from your faculty advisor will be more meaningful if they have met with you multiple times throughout your career.

+ Unavailable Advisor: What if my faculty advisor is unavailable or away on sabbatical?

Students can change faculty advisors on MyEngineering by clicking on the “My Advisors” link.  If the student does not want to change faculty advisors, they may see any faculty member in their department. The faculty has the ability to log in meetings with any student, even those who are not their official assigned advisees.

+ What is it: What is Faculty Advising and why am I supposed to do it?

Each HSSEAS student is assigned a faculty advisor within the student’s department.  You can find out who your faculty advisor is by logging on to MyEngineering.  Faculty advisors are available if you have questions that your academic counselors may not be able to answer.  They can provide advice about graduate school, undergraduate research, and job opportunities in the industry.  It is our hope that you develop a relationship with them, especially since you may need them to write you a letter of recommendation.

Graduation Questions

+ Degree Expected Term: What is a Degree Expected Term and when should I declare mine?

The Degree Expected Term is the year and quarter that a student plans to finish all his/her major requirements for completion of the bachelor’s degree.

Deadline for declaration or change of bachelor’s degree candidacy on myUCLA – BEFORE 172 units for Engineering students.
After 172 units there is a Registrar fee

+ Graduation Paperwork: I’m planning to graduate! What paperwork do I need to submit?

Students approaching graduation MUST follow the degree audit process in order for OASA to clarify exactly which requirements remain to be fulfilled for degree completion. This is a mandatory process students should be aware of at least two quarters prior to their degree expected term.

+ Graduation Regalia: When and where do I purchase graduation regalia?

You can purchase all graduation materials at the UCLA Store.  More information can be provided at their website.  Caps and gowns should be purchased before June and can be picked up in the middle of May.

Major Requirements and course options

+ Catalog Year: What is my catalog year?

Your catalog year refers to the academic year you were admitted into your HSSEAS major. Your catalog year is important because you follow the curriculum requirements that were in effect that academic year (i.e. if you were admitted to Civil Engineering for Fall 2015 – your catalog year is 2015-2016). When referring to your curriculum requirements you should review what is outlined at /undergraduates/curricular-requirements-department-information  AND your catalog year’s HSSEAS Announcement.

+ Course Requirements: Where can I find the course requirements for my major?

You can obtain details as to your HSSEAS major requirements at the following website:


+ Degree Audit Recording System: What is DARS and where can I find out more about it?

DARS is the Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS) and you can find more information in that link.

+ Double Major or Minor: Is it possible to double major or earn a minor?

HSSEAS students in good academic standing may be permitted a double major or minor. The second major must be outside HSSEAS (e.g. Electrical Engineering major and Economics major).  HSSEAS students are not permitted to double major with two HSSEAS majors (e.g. Chemical Engineering and Civil Engineering).

To begin the possible option of adding a major or minor,

  • investigate possible options – For a full list of MAJORS and MINORS offered at UCLA refer to the UCLA General Catalog
  • File an Undergraduate Request to Double Major or Add Minor form at the Office of Academic and Student Affairs (OASA), 6426 BH.  This form will start a review process by HSSEAS.
  • HSSEAS also advises that students meet with the Department Counselors of the major or minor student is considering adding in order to understand those requirements.
  • If HSSEAS determines that student meets HSSEAS eligibility for adding major or minor,  student will be advised to complete
    a Change of Major petition which must be approved by the Department of the major or minor student is requesting to add and then returned to 6426 Boelter Hall for final processing.HSSEAS determines final approval of a double major or minor request – review is done on a case by case basis, filing the request does NOT guarantee approval.

If you are interested in a double major or minor you should meet with your OASA Counselor at 6426 BH.

+ Research Credit: I’m doing research with a professor/employer. How do I get course credit for that?

There are a couple of courses you can take which will give you credit: 95, 194, 195, 199. More information can be found at that link.

Lower division research is SRP 99 and information can be found at that link.

For HSSEAS students, 99 contract forms must be submitted week 1 of the Fall, Winter, Spring term, to 6426BH, for review and approval.  After HSSEAS approval, SRP add deadline, to submit contract form to SRP Office, is Friday at 5pm, second week of Fall, Winter, Spring term.  For summer, contracts for all sessions are due to the SRP Office the Friday of 2nd week during Session A/6 week.

+ Technical Breadth Requirement: What is the Technical Breadth Requirement (TBR)?

Students following the 2006 or later catalog years, are required the technical breadth requirement.

Technical Breadth Area (TBA)

Students must declare their area using MyEngineering

Instructions for declaring your technical breadth area on MyEngineering are as

1. Login to MyEngineering
2. At [MyEngineering], in “My Profile” box, click on “About Me”
3. Locate “Technical Breadth Area” in the “View/Edit Profile Information”
box and select your TBA.

+ Undeclared Engineering: I am an Undeclared Engineering major. How and when do I declare my major?

Being an Undeclared Engineering student means you are guaranteed the Engineering major of your choice if you meet the following criteria:

  • Declare your major between the beginning of Winter quarter of your freshman year and the beginning of Winter quarter of your sophomore year.
  • Have a minimum 2.700 GPA in Engineering preparatory courses at the time you declare.
  • Take and pass an introductory engineering course from the major you are mostly likely to choose, or take and pass Engineering 96 Freshman Seminar - Introduction to Design.
  • Students applying to Computer Science or Computer Science and Engineering must also complete COM SCI 31 with a C grade or better on the first attempt, and COM SCI 32 and 33 with a B- grade or better on the first attempt.
This guarantee only applies toward the first major change. Any subsequent major changes are not guaranteed; therefore make sure you are applying for a major in which you are genuinely interested.

To declare your major you must:

follow the Change of Major process detailed  at http://www.seasoasa.ucla.edu/change-of-major/#submit-CCLE-petition

+ Writing Requirement - what is HSSEAS writing requirement?

(a) English Composition 3, which must be completed with a minimum grade of C by the end of the second year of enrollment at UCLA(this requirement may be satisfied by a score of 4 or 5 on the English Language and Composition or English Literature and Composition AP Exam);

(b) Engineering Writing; one 4-unit engineering ethics course chosen from BIOENGR 165EW, ENGR 181EW, 182EW 183EW or 185EW which must be completed with a minimum grade of C which also satisifes HSSEAS Ethics Requirement.

Opportunities - MentorSEAS, Scholarships, Student Organizations

+ MentorSEAS: What is the UCLA Engineering Mentorship Program (MentorSEAS)?

MentorSEAS is the official UCLA Engineering school-wide mentorship program designed to provide guidance, support, and networking of social, professional, and academic relationships to first year freshmen and transfer students in the School. Mentors (continuing engineering students) serve as role models by providing advice, being a good support system, and to assist with the transition to UCLA. Please visit the official MentorSEAS site for more information about this great resource.

+ Organizations: I want to announce an event to students, how can I do so?

HSSEAS Office of Academic and Student Affairs (OASA) Policy and Procedure on Requests to Post Announcements, or Mass Email Students, Concerning  Opportunities and Campus Events

Central School units such as the Office of Academic and Student Affairs and SEASnet  are normally unable to comply with requests from groups to send mass emails to HSSEAS students. We do however realize that it is important for organizations to get their messages out to our students; therefore, we encourage the following options. If you are:

(a)  HSSEAS  Engineering Student Organization Please refer to the following communication tools


(b) School of Engineering (HSSEAS) Academic Departments or a Group wanting to send a notice to
students in a particular HSSEAS department:
Each department MSO can authorize staff it wants to have access to MyEngineering , which will allow the department to email students in its department.  Sending announcements is up to the discretion of each department.  HSSEAS departments who wish to send a notice to all HSSEAS students can request a posting on SEASnet’s MOTD and the LCD panels.

(c) Industrial Affiliates or Other Company Employers
In an attempt to disseminate all internship/job opportunities and advertise all on campus industry recruitment events, we have created the

HSSEAS Internship/Job Clearinghouse website.

During the intense recruitment season, the month leading to the UCLA Career Center Engineering & Technical Career Fairs, we send out 2 e-mail blasts a week (on Tue. & Thur.).   During the rest of the year, only 1 e-mail blast is sent a week. In that e-mail blast, we list all new internship/job postings that have been added to the HSSEAS Internships/Jobs Clearinghouse website and reference all new events that have been added to the recruitment calendar.

If you have an internship/job opportunity or on campus recruitment event you would like us to post and include in our e-mail blast, please e-mail William Herrera, , and cc our clerk with a pdf attachment of the posting and/or text you would like us to use.

Industrial Affiliates or Other Company Employers may also want to work directly with the HSSEAS student organizations who can assist with scheduling on-campus recruitment events.

(d) UCLA Offices and Student Groups Outside of the School of Engineering (HSSEAS) 

may want to submit a Registrar’s Service Request (RSR) The Registrar’s Service Request (RSR) application is used by staff, faculty, and student organizations to submit requests for student data. Services do include mass e-mails to students.

+ Scholarships: Where can I find information regarding scholarships?

For current scholarship information for undergraduate HSSEAS students, as well as links to other sources on campus, go to Scholarships.

+ Student Organizations in HSSEAS, where can I find a list?

Information about HSSEAS Student Organizations can be found at


Transferring Courses

+ Another University Course Credit: What do I do if I want to take courses at another school during the summer?

Community College/Lower Division Transfer Limit.  After completing 105 quarter units toward the degree in all institutions attended, students are allowed no further unit credit for courses completed at a community college or for lower division courses completed at any institution outside of the University of California.

+ Transfer Credit: My transfer credits on my DPR aren’t matching what my counselor told me. What’s wrong?

The DPR was designed for students in the College of Letters & Science and shows the Admissions Office’s evaluation of your transfer credit, NOT the HSSEAS evaluation.  The HSSEAS evaluation normally gives more usable credit, because it reflects your major requirements, which the DPR does not. To verify what credit you have see a Counselor, 6426BH.

+ UCLA Extension: Can I take courses through UCLA extension to fill in classes while I’m at HSSEAS?

The Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science (HSSEAS) does not permit continuing HSSEAS students to enroll in courses toward degree completion through UCLA Extension’s Concurrent Enrollment program. There are no exceptions to this policy – please refer to http://www.seasoasa.ucla.edu/concurrent-enrollment-thru-ucla-extension