Change Of Major

Updated Summer 2017, 07-05-17

 Change of Major/Minor Into or Within the Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science (HSSEAS)

(subject to change without notice

Please note new application period and process for change of major submissions.

  • To best understand the requirements for engineering majors and the competitiveness of the change of major process, become familiar with the HSSEAS requirements. Requirements that can be found  in the HSSEAS Announcement or at HSSEAS Undergraduate Curricular Requirements and Department Information. The Announcement is also available in booklet form, free of charge, in  6426 Boelter Hall.
  • Change of major workshops are scheduled throughout the quarter. You can sign up online here.
  • Assessment Tools offered through UCLA to help students with their major choices
    1) UCLA Career Center FOCUS 2 Create an account (NOTE: You must provide an Access Code, which is located on your BruinView™ homepage) Or…Log in to your existing account
    Want to take a Career Assessment to gain clarity on your career direction? FOCUS 2 is here for you!
    Are you trying to figure out what occupations or majors are a good fit for you? FOCUS 2 can help! With 5 research based assessments to identify your work interests, personality, skills, values, and leisure interests; FOCUS 2 generates a list of occupations that match your assessment results. FOCUS 2 also makes connections between UCLA majors and occupations. So sit back and relax in the comfort of your own home and build your career plan today.
    2) UCLA MyMajors
    After completing this assessment, you will receive a list of your best-fit majors at UCLA.
  • After reading the information on this website, if you have questions, please direct inquiries to an Academic Counselor at 6426 Boelter Hall.

Eligibility (click on one)

I am an HSSEAS student

 I am a non-engineering student

  • I am interested in changing my major to another HSSEAS major
  • I am interested in changing my major to a major OUTSIDE of HSSEAS
  • I am interested in adding a 2nd major or a minor (Double Major and Minor information)
  • I am non-engineering student and am interested in changing my major to an HSSEAS major
  • I am non-engineering student and am interested in adding one of the HSSEAS minors (Bioinformatics or Environmental Engineering)

 Note:  Meeting the minimum criteria does not guarantee approval.


Application Period for 2018-2019 Academic School Year

Summer Sessions: July 2nd through July 13th, 2018.
Winter Quarter:  January 7th through Jan 18th, 2019.
Fall Quarter:  October 1st through October 12th, 2018. Spring Quarter: April 1st through April 12th, 2019.

Applications are accepted in weeks 1&2 of each quarter.  They will be reviewed in the quarter in which they are submitted based on the previous quarter’s grades.  Submit the paperwork with this in mind.  If you want to change your major in Spring, submit the forms during the application period in Spring quarter.

To submit a change of major request, complete the following steps:  (complete steps only during submission period stated above)

1. Complete the CCLE survey at  

IMPORTANT NOTE:  If you get a notification saying that you’re not eligible to take the
questionnaire, there should be a link on the left side of the page that says “Course administration” and then “Enroll me in this course.”  Click on that and you’ll be able to fill it out.
(This CCLE survey will only be active during submission period, DO NOT complete CCLE UNTIL you know your previous terms final grades (for example, if you are submitting an application in the Winter 2018 Quarter, you need to submit your Fall 2017 term final grades on the CCLE survey)

2. Complete the Undergraduate Program Change Petition.  Be sure to complete both pages of the editable PDF (not the “office use only” section), and name it using your 9-digit UCLA ID (e.g. 123456789.pdf).
3. Submit petition to Message Center CoM queue.  (queue will only be active during submission period)  Please state major applying to in subject line of message.

Notification and Processing:

In most cases, by approximately the end of week four you will be sent a message or email as to the change of major decision. Some decisions may be delayed if there are a high volume of petitions and/or additional time is needed to thoroughly review each case.

  • If your request is approved, you will receive an email to arrange a meeting with one of the HSSEAS counselors.
  • Students who are approved a change of major will follow the catalog year requirements in the effective term they entered the NEW major (e.g. for a change of major effective Winter 2018, you will follow ALL requirements of the 2017-18 catalog).
  • Students may petition to follow the previous catalog year that was in effect from their previous major.
    Petitions are reviewed on a case by case basis.

Meanwhile: What about enrolling for the next quarter?

  • While awaiting a decision on your change of major request, enroll in any Math, Science,  Computing or GE course for which you meet the prerequisite(s) and that is open to your present major. Keep in mind, your change of major is not guaranteed. You are advised to explore other major options.
  • You should look in the HSSEAS Announcement for the courses required for your major of interest.