Attention All Students Applying to any Engineering Major
- For courses taken Spring 2020 – Summer 2021, we will consider P grades to meet change of major requirements. However, P/NP grades do not factor into the prep GPA, so you must have taken at least 1 course for Letter Grade by Fall 2021 to meet the minimum GPA requirement for the major to which you are applying.
- As of Fall 2021, all Engineering majors are required to take all major courses for Letter Grade.
- Effective Winter 2022, for non-engineering majors, if you are taking courses to meet the Engineering workload and Prep GPA requirements as detailed below, plan to take them for a Letter Grade, even if your current department/college allows you choose Pass/NoPass.
Connecting with an Engineering counselor
UCLA Engineering Majors and Minors
Click on the majors to see a short introduction to the department given by the chair/vice chair
- Aerospace Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering (Joint major between Computer Science and Electrical & Computer Engineering Departments)
- Computer Science
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Materials Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
(Students may not apply to change majors to Undeclared Engineering)
Not sure which engineering major to choose?
- US Bureau of Labor Statistics – Occupational Outlook Handbook with example Engineering Jobs and descriptions
- UCLA Career Center FOCUS 2 – Career Assessment Tool to identify your work interests, personality, skills, values, and generates a list of occupations that match as well as connecting them back to UCLA Majors. This can be accessed through Handshake. It is located under the Career Center tab>Resources.
- UCLA MyMajors – after completing this assessment, you will receive a list of your best-fit majors at UCLA
All minors require that at least 20 units be unique to the minor and not counting towards any other major or minor.
To apply for one of these minors, please submit the following forms to the Petitions/Exceptions Message Center [click here]:
- Undergraduate Program Change form
- Request to add a Double Major or Minor form with your course plan.
Processing may take longer for Letters and Science majors with 150 total units or more, as we have to submit your request to the College for additional review. You can check the status of this pending review on MyUCLA -> Petitions.
When and How to Apply
Click each tab for more details
- Application Period: Weeks 1& 2 of every quarter
- Submit Application Materials
- Notification and Processing
- Applying to the Engineering Minors
- Adding a Double Major or Minor to an Engineering Major
- Changing Majors to a Non-Engineering major
Once you meet the minimum eligibility requirements detailed below, please submit an application by 5pm on the following dates:
Application Period for 2021-2022 Academic School Year
- Summer Sessions: June 27th through July 8th, 2022.
- Fall Quarter: September 27th through October 8th, 2021.
- Winter Quarter: January 3rd through Jan 14th, 2022.
- Spring Quarter: March 28th through April 8th, 2022.
Applications will be reviewed in the quarter in which they are submitted based on the previous grades. Submit the paperwork with this in mind. If you meet eligibility with your Winter grades, submit the forms during the Spring application period.
Your application will be DENIED if you do not complete steps 1-3. Please read over the steps carefully before submitting.
To submit a change of major request, complete the following steps (only available during the application period):
STEP 1: Complete the MyUCLA Forms Survey This questionnaire will only be active during submission period; DO NOT complete UNTIL you know your previous terms final grades. For example, if you are submitting an application in the Spring 2021 Quarter, you need to submit your Winter 2021 term final grades on the survey
STEP 2: Complete Undergraduate Program Change Petition Be sure to complete the editable PDF (not office use section), and name it using your 9-digit UCLA ID (e.g. 123456789.pdf).
STEP 3: Submit Reason for Applying and Undergraduate Program Change Petition to the Change of Major Queue (queue will only be active during submission period) Please state the major you are applying to in the subject line of the message, and provide 1-2 paragraphs on why you wish to change your major in the body of your message.
Your application will be DENIED if you do not complete steps 1-3. Please read over the steps carefully before submitting.
- Students who are approved a change of major will follow the catalog year requirements in the effective term they entered the NEW major (e.g. for a change of major effective Winter 2018, you will follow ALL requirements of the 2017-18 catalog).
- Students may petition to follow the previous catalog year that was in effect from their previous major on a case by case basis.
Meanwhile: What about enrolling for the next quarter?
- While awaiting a decision on your change of major request, enroll in any Math, Science, Computing or GE course for which you meet the prerequisite(s) and that is open to your present major. Keep in mind, your change of major is not guaranteed. You are advised to explore other back up major options.
- You should look in the Engineering Announcement for the courses required for your major of interest.
You must be admitted to these minor programs before your last term. Keep in mind that at least 20 units must be unique to your minor and not overlapping with any other major or minor in your degree program.
To apply for one of these minors, please submit the following to Boelter Hall 6426.
You may submit these at any time. This is different from major requests which are only accepted once a quarter during weeks 1&2. Please allow 2-4 weeks* for processing. Notification will be via MyUCLA Message Center.
*Processing may take an additional 7-10 business days for Letters and Science majors with 150 total units or more, as we have to submit your request to the College for additional review. You can check the status of this pending review on MyUCLA -> Petitions.
Adding a minor or second major must be requested for consideration at minimum 2 quarters before degree completion
- A student whose current major is in the College of Letters & Science would need to meet the eligibility requirements as described below to change their primary major to Engineering and then request to add double major.
- Double majors involving two majors within Engineering is not allowed (e.g. Aerospace Engineering and Computer Science) For double majors, your primary major must be in Engineering and the other must be a major outside Engineering (e.g. Aerospace Engineering and Math of Computation).
- If requesting Majors and minors housed in the College of Letters and Science, please note that those departments may not approve you once you have 150+ units completed.
- If you are already in an Engineering Major
- Meet with 2nd major/minor department advisor. Are there any minimum course or grade requirements required before you can declare?
- Submit a quarter by quarter course plan to 6426 Boelter Hall for counselor review and pre-approval to add major or minor to your program. Pay attention to requisites, as well as tentative or past course offerings when making your plan. You t have to know every course, but you should be able to put in required courses and at least specify, Elective, Tech Breadth, etc.
- Once you meet the eligibility requirements for your 2nd major or minor and you have your pre-approval from OASA, then submit an Undergraduate program change form signed by the department of your 2nd major or minor. Submit to 6426 Boelter Hall. (can submit any week, different from changing to an Engineering major which is only in weeks 1&2 of each quarter).
It is helpful to notify an Engineering counselor of your intent to change majors. This is more of a courtesy, but if there are any complications we have the note that you are in the middle of changing majors and can help resolve things quickly.
Minimum Eligibility requirements to apply
- Meeting the minimum criteria explained below does not guarantee approval but gives you your best chance for a successful change of major.
- The Earliest a Freshman admitted student may apply is after completing a minimum of two quarters (note that it may take longer to meet requirements for Com Sci, Com Sci & Engr, or Com Engr. See additional requirements below)
- The Latest a Freshman admitted student may apply is weeks 1 and 2 of Fall Quarter of their third year. (This is based on your 2nd year grades; you must meet the minimum eligibility no later than the end summer of your 2nd (sophomore) year. This includes requests within the same department like from CSE to CS.)
- Normally only one change of major to an Engineering major will be approved. Students are encouraged to research the various engineering disciplines thoroughly before filing for a change of major.
Junior Transfer Students
Junior transfer students admitted to a major outside of Engineering (e.g. Math), are not eligible for change of major or double major consideration with an Engineering major because of the competitiveness of admissions.
Junior transfer students admitted to a major within Engineering, may request a change of major to another Engineering major before the end of their 2nd quarter in residence at UCLA except for the majors listed below. Such requests are rare and considered on a case by case basis if the student would have originally applied and been directly admitted to the desired major. Because they are severely impacted majors, it is NOT possible for transfer students change into the Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering majors.
Undeclared Engineering Majors
- Declare your major between the beginning of Winter quarter of your freshman year and the beginning of Winter quarter of your sophomore year.
- Have a minimum 2.700 GPA in Engineering preparatory courses at the time you declare.
- Take and pass an introductory engineering course from the major you are mostly likely to choose, or take and pass Engineering 96 Freshman Seminar – Introduction to Design.
- Students applying to Computer Science or Computer Science and Engineering or Computer Engineering must also complete minimum grade requirements detailed for all change of majors under the “Additional requirements for requests to CS, CSE, CE” section below.
This guarantee only applies toward the first major change. Any subsequent major changes are not guaranteed; therefore make sure you are applying for a major in which you are genuinely interested.
(1) Enroll in an Engineering Workload
- For current non-engineering students working towards a change of major, the minimum Engineering Workload is at least 1 Math and 1 Science/Engineering course from the linked list of prep courses per term while enrolled in a minimum of 12 units per term.
- First year students may apply after completing at least 2 quarters that meet this workload
- Second year students may apply after completing at least 3 quarters that meet this workload
Current Engineering students should already be enrolling in an Engineering Workload and most often will be enrolling in additional major courses.
(2) Earn a 3.500 GPA in Prep Courses Completed*
- Unless applying to Materials Engineering or Civil Engineering (minimum GPA is 3.000 in Prep Courses Completed)
- Unless applying to Electrical Engineering (minimum GPA is 3.400 in Prep Courses Completed)
For current non-engineering students working towards a change of major this is a hard GPA requirement to ensure a successful transition to taking 3-4 Engineering courses a quarter, We strongly recommend that you take the minimum Engineering workload described above and no more to give the space to build strong foundation skills as well as give you your best chances at a successful change of major.
*For current engineering majors, this is not a hard GPA requirement based on the work you already did to be admitted to Engineering, but you need to be in good academic standing, and you MUST DEMONSTRATE that you can succeed in the prep or major courses for the major you are applying to.
Additional requirements for requests to CS, CSE, CE
Applicants to the Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or Computer Science & Engineering majors must have ALSO completed the all courses with a minimum grade indicated below and they must have earned the minimum grade or better on the first attempt in those courses. (Repeat grades will not be considered). These are firm requirements.
- For courses taken in Spring 2020 – Summer 2021: P grades will be accepted to meet these minimum requirements. If only P grades in all required courses listed below, you may be held to additional letter graded coursework.
- Effective Fall 2021 all Engineering students must take all major required courses for a letter grade. For non-Engineering majors, at least one of the courses below must be completed with a letter grade and meet the minimum requirements.
- Effective Winter 2022, any CS courses must meet the minimum letter grade requirements as listed below.
|COM SCI 31||COM SCI 32||COM SCI 33||EC ENGR 3||EC ENGR M16/ COM SCI M51A|
|Computer Science & Engineering||C||B-||B-|