Data Science Engineering Minor
Tracking the Minor requirements
The best way to track your minor requirements is to use our planning worksheet.
Minimum Eligibility Data Science is open to any undergraduate major at UCLA.
Minimum requirements to Apply:
- 3.000 UCLA Cumulative GPA and
- Complete the 2 lower division requirements with a B- or better
- CS 32 (offered Winter & Spring, check Summer)
- Math 33A (offered every quarter)
Application Process/Adding the Minor (Accepting Applications starting Spring 2022)
- Turn in 3 items to our petitions queue:
- Undergraduate Program Change petition
- Request to add a Double Major or Minor form with your course plan
- Short letter/statement about why you want to add the minor (may be in the body of the message)
Processing may take longer for Letters and Science majors with 150 total units or more, as we have to submit your request to the College for additional review. You can check the status of this pending review on MyUCLA -> Petitions.
Planning and Enrolling in courses for the minor
20 units must be unique to the minor and not counting towards any other major or minor.
When are minor courses offered?
LS 30A & 30B
LS 30A & 30B
If you took LS 30A/B, you do not need to go back and enroll in Math 31A, 31B, 32A to meet requisites for your required math course. You can just take MATH 32T or C&S BIO M32 to bridge from the LS 30 series to the Math 30 series. This will leave you well prepared for Math 33 and Math 170E or C&EE 110 as a probability elective.
(Same as C&S Bio M32.) Lecture, three hours; discussion, one hour. Requisite: Life Sciences 30A, Life Sciences 30B. Not open to students with credit for 31A, 31B, 32A, or 32B. Designed for life sciences students who have taken Life Science 30B. Methods and results of single and multivariable calculus essential for quantitative training in biology. Limits, differentiation (single and several variables), optimization, integration and methods of integration, Taylor polynomials and applications to approximation, Taylor and other power series, vector valued functions, gradients, and Lagrange multipliers. P/NP or letter grading.
Enrolling in Engineering Courses
Enrolling in Engineering Courses
If you are a declared minor, you should be able to add your required courses offered in Engineering. If you are having issues enrolling, please contact us via myUCLA Message Center.
If you have not actually processed the paperwork to add the minor yet you will not be able to add yourself.
- Enrolling in CS 31: http://web.cs.ucla.edu/classes/enroll/31/
- Enrolling in CS 32: http://web.cs.ucla.edu/classes/enroll/32/
- Enrolling in any other Engineering course: You will need to fill out the Enrollment Consideration Request (ECR): https://www.seasoasa.ucla.edu/ECR/ Once majors and minors have had a chance to enroll in 2nd pass (think about 2 weeks after pass 2 begins), once our departments assess demand and we will enroll you wherever there is room, or we will go to the department to request to increase enrollment to accommodate requests.)
Course is closed with enrollment of 0/0
It is pretty common to see a closed section with no enrollment or very low enrollment like 5 seats. But also check to see if it is an “M” course, e.g. Com Sci M146, which is the same course as EC ENGR M146. The M indicates that the course is listed in multiple departments. Go to the course info to see what other departments offer the course (it may be numbered differently) and check the seats. It doesn’t matter if you enroll in CS or ECE in this example. It is the same course with the same credit. Enroll where there is room and it works for your schedule.
Requisite Error when Enrolling
The system has trouble reading transfer or substitution credit. Engineering Departments, Math, and Stats can all be contacted via MyUCLA Message Center. (click on the yellow “Need Help” box at the top of MyUCLA). Indicate that you are a Data Sci Engineering minor (or planning to declare) and include how you meet the requisite and your section preferences.
Meeting with a CS Counselor
If you are having any difficulty or need help trying to find flexibility to fit minor classes in with your major requirements, you may meet with a CS counselor during Engineering drop in advising: Tuesday Mornings from 9-11am, Wednesday mornings from 10am-12pm and Thursday afternoons from 2-4pm. Links to the zoom are found on our homepage www.seasoasa.ucla.edu You can also contact us via myUCLA Message Center.