Environmental Engineering Minor

Environmental Engineering: What is it?

Research in environmental engineering focuses on the understanding and management of physical, chemical, and biological processes in the environment and in engineering systems. Areas of research include process development for water and wastewater treatment systems and the investigation of the fate and transport of contaminants in the environment. 

Why would you add the minor?

The Environmental Engineering minor is designed for students who wish to augment their major program of study with an exposure to engineering methods applied to key environmental problems facing modern society in developed and developing countries. The minor also provides students with a brief experience and understanding of the roles that environmental engineering methods play in solving environmental problems. 

Minimum Eligibility 

To enter the minor, students must be in good academic standing (2.0 GPA or higher) and file the relevant documentation as outlined on this page. 

How to Add the Minor

You will need to turn in 3 items:
1) The Registrar Office’s Undergraduate Program Change Petition.
2) The HSSEAS Petition to Double Major or Add a Minor (the tentative course plan must be filled out).
3) Please provide 1-2 paragraphs on why you wish to declare the minor (e.g., academic interest, it aligns with your career goals, you found a passion for this field, etc.).
This can either be a separate attachment, or written in the body of your message.

Once completed, attach all relevant documents to our Petitions Queue within Message Center.

Unit Requirements Specific to the Minor

A minimum of 20 upper division units applied toward the minor requirements must be in addition to units applied toward major requirements or another minor, and at least 16 units applied toward the minor must be taken in residence at UCLA. Transfer credit for any of the above is subject to departmental approval; consult the undergraduate counselors before enrolling in any courses for the minor.

Each minor course must be taken for a letter grade, and students must have a minimum grade of C (2.0) in each and an overall GPA of 2.0 or better. Successful competition of the minor is indicated on the transcript and diploma. 

Required Coursework

Required Lower Division Course (4 units): Mathematics 3C or 32A
Required Upper Division Courses (24 units minimum): Civil and Environmental Engineering 153 and 5 courses from:

Civil and Environmental Engineering: 110, 150, 151, 152, 154, 155, 156A, 156B, 157A, 157B, 157C, 157L, C159, 163, 164, M165, M166

Chemical Engineering: 102A*

Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering: 103, 105A*

*Credit for BOTH MECH&AE 105A and CH ENGR 102A will NOT be granted.