- Deadline for declaration or change of bachelor’s degree candidacy on myUCLA – BEFORE 172 units for Engineering students. After 172 units there is a Registrar fee
- Students are responsible for all information in the UCLA General Catalog and the Announcement of the Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science (HSSEAS)
- Enrollment and Quarterly Study Lists
Online enrollment is available for all continuing undergraduate students subject to the deadlines indicated below, which also applies to the use of PTE numbers. The online Schedule of Classes contains complete instructions. Undergraduates must enroll in 12-21 units each quarter. Students wishing to enroll in less than 12 units or more than 21 units must obtain approval by petition to the Associate Dean, 6426 Boelter Hall, prior to enrollment.
- SUMMER SESSION STUDENTS — PLEASE NOTE: Impacted courses may be dropped on or before Friday of first week through myUCLA with no transcript notation. If you are unsure if your course is impacted or not, please check the Schedule of Classes.
Required courses, major electives for all HSSEAS majors, and UCLA summer session courses must be taken for a letter grade (unless the course is graded P/NP only).
During regular terms (Fall, Winter, Spring) HSSEAS GE courses may be taken P/NP unless the course is offered for a letter grade only. An undergraduate may take one course, maximum 5 units, per quarter on a P/NP basis if the student meets all the following conditions:
- In good academic standing (2.0 or higher term and cumulative GPA)
- Enrolled in at least 14 units for the quarter including the course to be taken on a P/NP basis
- Has not received two NP grades. Students who have received two NP grades shall be excluded from electing courses on a P/NP basis for one quarter
- Not repeating a course in which a grade of C-, D+, D, D- or F has been earned
All petitions for exceptions to enrollment rules or for changes to study lists after the deadlines must be submitted to the Office of Academic and Student Affairs, 6426 Boelter Hall. IF approved, the student must file the enrollment petition with the Registrar, 1113 Murphy Hall. The student’s BAR account will be charged for any fee. For other exceptions see a HSSEAS academic counselor.
Continuing HSSEAS students who have completed 105 or more units from any source may not earn additional credit from any community college. Credit may be granted for work completed at 4-year institutions; however, UCLA prohibits concurrent enrollment, and students who take courses at other schools during a term in which they are also enrolled at UCLA will not get credit for the work completed at the other school. For credit to be applied to HSSEAS degree requirements, students must submit transcripts and evaluation materials no later than the end of the first term at UCLA after completing the work.
University Requirements and English Composition 3
Students must work toward satisfaction of either the Entry Level Writing or English as a Second Language (ESL) requirement during their first quarter in residence and subsequent quarters if necessary. English Composition 3 must be completed before the end of the second year of enrollment. A grade of C or better must be earned in the required English course(s). These courses may not be taken P/NP. The American History and Institutions requirement must be satisfied in order to graduate. Please refer to the UCLA General Catalog for details.
Courses taken at the University MAY BE repeated at UCLA only subject to the following:
- Student received a grade of C- or lower in the course
- Course may not be repeated more than once without the approval of the Associate Dean
- For undergraduates who repeat a total of 16 units or less, only the most recently earned letter grades and grade points will be computed into the grade-point average.
After repeating 16 units, the GPA will be based on all letter grades assigned and total units attempted. (See General Catalog for additional details).
IF YOU RECEIVE A GRADE OF I DO NOT RE-ENROLL IN THE COURSE
The instructor may assign the incomplete (I) grade under the following conditions: the student must ask the Instructor for the I grade, the student’s work must be of passing quality and the reasons for requesting the I grade must be of sufficient gravity to warrant an incomplete grade (such as illness or other serious problem). It is the student’s responsibility to discuss with the instructor the possibility of receiving an I grade as opposed to a nonpassing grade.
If an I grade is assigned, students may receive unit credit and grade points by satisfactorily completing the coursework as specified by the instructor. Students should not reenroll in the course; if they do, it is recorded twice on the transcript. If the work is not completed by the end of the next full term in residence, the I grade lapses to an F, NP, or U as appropriate. The College or school may extend the deadline in unusual cases (not applicable to graduate students). Once an Incomplete (I) grade is assigned, it remains on the transcript along with the passing grade students may later receive for the course.
HSSEAS undergraduate students are not allowed to enroll in graduate level courses without first obtaining approval by petition at 6426 BH. See your HSSEAS Academic Counselor for more details.
Students must meet course requisites and have at minimum a 3.0 GPA for approval consideration.
The HSSEAS degree check is the official record of how all UC and transfer credit has been applied to your requirements. DARS (Degree Audit Reporting System) is a computerized degree audit system. Students who use DARS will be able to see the credit they have received and determine which requirements of their degree are left to complete. Keep in mind that this is a tentative audit only. The DPR was designed for L&S College students and shows the Admission’s Office evaluation of transfer credit, NOT the HSSEAS evaluation which gives more useable credit because, unlike the DPR, it reflects your major requirements.
Information on the Web