UCLA Samueli School of Engineering
Saturday, June 15, 2019
Commencement Ceremony Program
(the ceremony length is about 3.5 hours long based on previous years)
Out of respect for each degree candidate, their families and all guests in attendance the students who elect to participate in the ceremony are expected to remain until its conclusion.
(ORDER SUBJECT TO CHANGE)
THE NATIONAL ANTHEM
Jayathi Y. Murthy
Ronald and Valerie Sugar Dean
PRESENTATION AND CONFERRAL
OF THE HOODS FOR THE DEGREE
Doctor of Philosophy
COMMENCEMENT KEYNOTE ADDRESS
PRESENTATION AND CONFERRAL
OF THE CANDIDATES FOR
Master of Science
STUDENT SPEAKER’S MESSAGE
PRESENTATION AND CONFERRAL
OF THE CANDIDATES FOR THE DEGREE
Bachelor of Science
Out of respect for each degree candidate, their families and all guests in attendance the students who elect to participate in the ceremony are expected to remain until its conclusion. At the Conclusion of the Ceremony, there will be a PHOTO OPPORTUNITY (time for degree recipients, faculty, family & friends to meet at one location and take photographs ) at the Intramural Field.
We advise you wear comfortable shoes. Light refreshments will be served.
STUDENT LINE UP INFO (A TICKET IS REQUIRED)
WHERE: Line up at The Los Angeles Tennis Center (LATC, enter via GATE B).
(see interactive campus map ; keyword )
WHEN: Saturday, June 15th is the HSSEAS Ceremony
TIME: no later than 11:30AM (report to student line up at LATC)
Day of Commencement Checklist for Engineering Degree Candidates:
- Arrive to the student line up at least one hour prior to the start of the ceremony; this means 11:30AM
Location is LATC, Enter at GATE B (near Bruin Walk and Drake Stadium)
Look for signage designating B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. degrees.
Staff will be there to assist you.
- Make sure you have your student ticket for entrance to the student line up (REQUIRED)
- Make sure you are dressed in your caps and gown (REQUIRED)
- Make sure you bring your UCLA BRUIN CARD for check-in (REQUIRED)
- Pick-up the name card/photo card (it is one card) – This is the card that will be read as you cross the stage!!
You can stop by 6426 BH beginning Friday, June 8th through FINALS WEEK to pick up a card.
Not on campus? No worries! We will have extra cards on the day of commencement at the student line up.
- Complete both sides of the name card/photo card (it is one card)! This is the card that will be read as you cross the stage!!
Print your name and write a phonetic spelling of your name.
Review this phonetic sheet for how to fill out your name card/photo card.
Tip: Have a stranger read it, did they pronounce your name correctly?
- No backpacks, bags or umbrellas are allowed.
NOTE: ALL STUDENTS ARE ASKED TO COMPLETE THE NAME/PHOTO CARD, COMPLETING THE ADDRESS PORTION OF THE PHOTO CARD DOES NOT OBLIGATE THE STUDENT TO PURCHASE PHOTOS, HOWEVER IT DOES HELP TO TRACK THE ORDER!
- Follow the directions of staff workers and the Student Marshals. The Student Marshals will be wearing yellow and blue gold cords and they will be leading the processional into the venue and lead you to your seating area.
- You will find a card on your seat instructing you when and how to approach the stage. Please read it when you get there and follow instructions and the lead of the Student Marshals
- Smile! Photographs will be taken as you cross the stage, and leave the stage! Congratulations!
Graduates and candidates are welcome to bring a small camera; however, keep in mind iNo bags, back packs or umbrellas will be allowed. We will have security and ushers at the line up.
Please also review the UCLA campus Safety and Security guidelines and Pauley Pavilion’s enforcement of the clear bag policy for your families and guests.
We want everyone to have fun and be safe.
Commencement is filled with excitement and tradition. It is a special time for you to share your achievements with your family and friends and with University faculty and administrators. So that all present may safely enjoy and fondly remember your Commencement, we ask that no alcoholic or carbonated beverages, bottles/ cans/coolers of any kind, balloons/inflatable items (i.e. beach balls), spray cans or any item to be thrown/tossed or that may distract from the ceremony, be brought to the venue. Staff has been advised to remove such items from you. In order to ensure your safety and the safety of others, any individual whose behavior becomes potentially harmful or interferes with the Ceremony may be required to leave the Ceremony. Pauley Ushers, Security, and Staff will be on alert.
Enjoy your special day, and congratulations on your accomplishment!
FACULTY AND OFFICIAL PARTY INFO (CHECK-IN REQUIRED)
If you have not, please send an RSVP to: and note your department and if you will be needing regalia/attire.
If you requested attire with the Office of Academic and Student Affairs (OASA) please note delivery will be Friday, June 7th through Tuesday, June 11th.
- Faculty check-in will be at the Pauley Pavilion Club Room (entrance located next the Pauley ticket booth, off of Bruin Walk)
- You must be checked-in no later than 11:45AM (necessary for the faculty line up) on Saturday, June 15th
- A coat-check will be available for you.
- Refreshments will be served in the Pavilion Club Room.