[Information contained at this site may be subject to change]
for undergraduates and graduate students in the
UCLA Samueli School of Engineering
Saturday, June 13, 2020*
Location: Pauley Pavilion
Tickets for students participating and their guests will be required*
*This is the ONLY ceremony for The School of Engineering and it encompasses undergraduates (BS) and graduates (MS, ENGR, PhD).
Do not confuse this with “The College” commencement, which is the main ceremony for students with majors in The College of Letters and Science.
ELIGIBILITY AND TICKET ORDERING
- ELIGIBILITY – Who can participate in the 2020 UCLA Samueli School of Engineering Commencement?
- TICKET ORDERING – please read as tickets are required for student walking and their guests
- SPECIAL REQUEST – for Fall 2020 candidates who wish “walk” in this June 2020
Other Commencement Related Information (please read as well):
- Awards and Honors (DEADLINES END OF APRIL; apply for Student Speaker, National Anthem Performer application, etc!)
- Cap and Gown, Announcements, Portraits, etc.
- Commencement Day Program
- Eligibility – Who can participate in the 2020 UCLA Samueli School of Engineering Commencement?
- Guest Information (includes Campus Security and Safety)
- PhD Hooding Ceremony (a separate ceremony coordinated by Graduate Division)
- Hotel and Dining Information
- Parking and Permit Information
- Persons with disabilities
- Printed Program (printed listing of student names
- Support Letter Request for Visa Purposes
- Student Line-Up Information
- Ticket Ordering (for eligible students)
- Webcast/Live Stream (for 2020)
- Contact Information or Questions
Welcome Parents, Families and Friends
Specific to the HSSEAS Commencement Ceremony all guests will need a ticket to gain entrance into the venue.
Children who will be needing a seat must have a ticket. Otherwise, no ticket is needed if the child will be sitting on someone’s lap. Seating is general admission on a first come basis.
Doors to Pauley Pavilion (Tentative venue for 2020) are expected to open one hour prior to the start of the ceremony around TBD.
The UCLA Engineering ceremony will begin promptly at TBD.
Please feel free to visit the Ceremony Day Program for length of ceremony and timeline
Family and Guests we also ask you to review the following before entering the campus and venue:
- Pauley Pavilion’s Enhanced Security Procedures, including their clear bag policy
- UCLA Campus Security and Safety.
- Other items not allowed in the venue:
After reviewing the above we suggest you leave these items at home or in your car, a “stroller check” will be located at the main entrance to the venue for your convenience. For more details refer to https://www.commencement.ucla.edu/parents
PARKING AND PERMIT INFORMATION
Coming to Campus and Parking – In preparation for your arrival on the day of, please review in advance the Commencement General Parking and Directions. Information including posted Parking and Venue Maps and DP Permit Parking. We advise you give yourself ample time to arrive on campus, park, and walk from parking to the venue – keeping in mind there will be multiple ceremonies taking place so expect crowds.
Parking permits may be
- preordered by the student through MyUCLA during the initial ticket ordering process
- purchased at Parking Services in the Strathmore Building;
- purchased at the Central Ticket Office (CTO); or
- on the day of the ceremony, purchased at a Parking and Information Booth, or from a parking attendant at any parking structure.
Students who preorder parking permits during the initial ticket ordering process are automatically charged.
Please review billing information in advance.
- $12 per vehicle – a (standard) Commencement parking permit
- $6 per vehicle – a DP (disabled placard) Commencement parking permit for vehicles displaying a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)-issued disabled person placard or plate. Both the DP (Disabled Parking) permit and DMV-issued DP placard MUST be displayed.
PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES
If you are inviting a guest who needs special assistance to attend Commencement, please review Disability Access at UCLA.
You may also contact the Center for Accessible Education at A255 Murphy Hall to ask your questions or for further information. Sign language interpreters for students are available upon request with two weeks advance notice.
Degree Candidates needing special assistance should also contact and outline their needs so we can determine how to best assist you.
COMMENCEMENT PRINTED PROGRAM
CURRENT DRAFT OF THE 2019-2020 PRINTED PROGRAM
(PLEASE REVIEW ASAP – Deadline for changes by TBA)
Bachelor of Science – BS (as of TBA)
Master of Science – MS (as of TBA)
Doctor of Philosophy – PHD (as of TBA)
REASONS YOU MAY NOT BE LISTED
- you are a Fall 2020 candidate approved to “walk” via Special Request; you will be listed next year
- you missed a crucial step in the degree audit process (ugrads only) OR you are a graduate student that did not provide your information to your student affairs grad department
- you have a privacy restriction which prevents us from listing your name; see below regarding privacy information
Contact: if you feel you should be listed and provide the below:
SUBJECT: Engineering Commencement Printed Program Listing
DEGREE TYPE (BS,MS,PHD*):
*If PHD include your dissertation title and advisor
The 2019-2020 Commencement printed program will list the names of the following undergraduate and graduate engineering students so long as they do not have any FERPA/privacy restrictions preventing the publication of their name:
SUMMER 2019 degrees conferred
FALL 2019 degrees conferred
WINTER 2020 degrees conferred
SPRING 2020 degree candidates*
SUMMER 2020 degree candidates**
*SPRING 2020 candidates should have completed the degree audit process if ugrad or notified their graduate department student affairs office in Winter 2020.
**SUMMER 2020 degree candidates must initiate the degree audit process (if ugrad) or notify their graduate department student affairs office no later than Friday, April 19th.
Fall 2020 students are not automatically invited nor are they listed in the 2019-2020 printed program.
Fall 2020 students who wish to “walk” in the 2020 ceremony should follow the Special Request process.
Other *VERY* important items related to the printed program:
Fall 2020 candidates who are approved to “walk” in the ceremony (see section Who is Eligible?) will NOT be listed in the printed 2019-2020 program; however, their NAMES WILL BE ANNOUNCED during the ceremony as you cross the stage. Fall 2020 degree recipient names will be listed in the following year’s printed program (unless they have a privacy restriction!).
It is not possible to process final grades and prepare degree lists for our Spring 2020 candidates in time to present diplomas at Commencement. Diplomas will be available three to four months after the degree award date.
Please visit the Diploma FAQ available at the Registrar’s Office to review information pertaining to obtaining your diploma in person (no fee) or by mail (with fee) approximately seven weeks after the end of your final term. Consequently, you should notify the Registrar at 1113 Murphy Hall if there is any change in address after you graduate. You may also change your mailing address directly via MyUCLA.
For up-to-date diploma availability information, call the Diploma Hotline at (310)825-8883.
NOTE: The name printed on your diploma will be your official name on file with the University Registrar’s Office. Please check your name! If your name has changed or is misspelled, file a name change form at the Registrar’s Office to ensure official records are updated appropriately.
SUPPORT LETTER REQUEST FOR VISA PURPOSES
I need to obtain a letter of support for visa purposes in order to invite family members to the UCLA Samueli Commencement Ceremony, what do I need to do?
International Students (J1 or F1 visa type)
International Students (with an F1 or J1 visa type) who need to obtain letters of support for visa purposes to invite family members to Commencement should begin with the Dashew Center for International Students and Scholars (DCISS). DCISS requires confirmation of degree completion from your School/department as part of the visa letter process. Therefore, prior to contacting DCISS please verify you meet eligibility to participate in the Engineering Commencement (Saturday, June 13, 2020).
Domestic Students (US Citizen or Permanent Resident)
Domestic Students (Permanent Resident or Citizens of the United States) who need to obtain support letters for visa purposes to invite family members to commencement should begin with the Office of Academic and Student Affairs (OASA). Please follow the steps below:
Please allow 5-7 business days for the visa letter after submission (granted you meet Step 1 eligibility). You will receive an email notification when the letter is ready for pick-up at 6426 BH. You must present a UCLA Bruin ID or other relevant identification for pick-up.
CONTACT AND OTHER QUESTIONS
Questions about the ceremony not covered here can be directed to the Engineering Commencement team via MyUCLA Message Center.