[Information contained at this site may be subject to change]
for students in
Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science (HSSEAS)
Saturday, June 16, 2018
Commencement Day Program
Webcast/Live Stream for 2018 (not yet active)
Tickets for students participating and their guests will be required
This is the ONLY ceremony for UCLA Sameuli Schoolf of Engineering and it encompasses undergraduates (BS) and graduates (MS, ENGR, PhD). Do not confuse this with the The College Commencement, which is intended for students with majors in “The College” (The College of Letters and Science).
Please read about eligibility AND tickets first:
- Eligibility – Who is eligible to take part in the Ceremony? (REQUIRED READING)
- Tickets – (TICKET ORDERING WILL BEGIN MONDAY, APRIL 30th for ENGINEERING) (REQUIRED READING)
- Special Request – for Summer 2018 & Fall 2018 candidates who wish “walk” in June 2018 (AVAILABLE NOW)
Out of respect for each degree candidate, Graduates and guests who attend the engineering commencement, are expected to remain for the duration of the ceremony until its conclusion. Please review the Commencement Day Program for details on the length of the ceremony.
Other Commencement Related Information (please read as well):
- Awards and Honors (DEADLINES TUESDAY, APRIL 24TH; apply for Student Speaker, National Anthem Performer application, etc!)
- Cap and Gown, Announcements, Portraits, etc.
- Commencement Day Program
- Guest Information (includes Campus Security and Safety)
- PhD Hooding Ceremony (a separate ceremony coordinated by Graduate Division)
- Hotel and Dining Information
- Parking and Permit Information
- Persons with disabilities
- Printed Program (printed listing of student names)
- Visa Letter Request
- Webcast/Live Stream (for 2018) – PENDING
- Webcast/Live Stream (for 2017)
- Webcast/Live Stream (from 2016)
- Contact Information or Questions
Welcome Parents, Families and Friends
Specific to the HSSEAS Commencement Ceremony all guests will need a ticket to gain entrance into the venue.
Children who will be needing a seat must have a ticket. Otherwise, no ticket is needed if the child will be sitting on someone’s lap. Seating is general admission on a first come basis.
Doors to Pauley Pavilion (Tentative venue) are expected to open one hour prior to the start of the ceremony around 11:30 a.m.
The UCLA Engineering ceremony will begin promptly at 12:30 p.m.
Please feel free to visit the Ceremony Day Program for length of ceremony and timeline
Family and Guests we also ask you to review the following before entering the campus and venue:
- Pauley Pavilion’s Enhanced Security Procedures, including their clear bag policy
- UCLA Campus Security and Safety.
- Other items not allowed in the venue:
After reviewing the above we suggest you leave these items at home or in your car, a “stroller check” will be located at the main entrance to the venue for your convenience. For more details refer to https://www.commencement.ucla.edu/parents
We no longer send invitations.
Eligible students will begin receiving commencement information in early April. In order to be part of the notices, please make sure you are eligible to participate in the ceremony and review the official commencement site. Students need to make sure they have an updated and correct official email address on record with the Registrar’s Office to ensure they receive time sensitive commencement notifications (AND make sure you are checking spam filters). Notices and updates will be coming from the Office of Academic and Student Affairs and they will be posted on MyUCLA.
PARKING AND PERMIT INFORMATION
Coming to Campus and Parking – In preparation for your arrival on the day of, please review in advance the Commencement General Parking and Directions. Information including posted Parking and Venue Maps and DP Permit Parking. We advise you give yourself ample time to arrive on campus, park, and walk from parking to the venue – keeping in mind there will be multiple ceremonies taking place so expect crowds.
Parking permits may be
- preordered by the student through MyUCLA during the initial ticket ordering process
- purchased at Parking Services in the Strathmore Building;
- purchased at the Central Ticket Office (CTO); or
- on the day of the ceremony, purchased at a Parking and Information Booth, or from a parking attendant at any parking structure.
Students who preorder parking permits during the initial ticket ordering process are automatically charged.
Please review billing information in advance.
- $12 per vehicle – a (standard) Commencement parking permit
- $6 per vehicle – a DP (disabled placard) Commencement parking permit for vehicles displaying a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)-issued disabled person placard or plate. Both the DP (Disabled Parking) permit and DMV-issued DP placard MUST be displayed.
PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES
If you are inviting a guest who needs special assistance to attend Commencement, please review Disability Access at UCLA.
You may also contact the Office for Students with Disabilities at A255 Murphy Hall to ask your questions or for further information. Sign language interpreters for students are available upon request with two weeks advance notice.
Degree Candidates needing special assistance should also contact and outline their needs so we can determine how to best assist you.
COMMENCEMENT PRINTED PROGRAM
The 2017-2018 Commencement printed program will list the names of the following undergraduate and graduate engineering students:
SUMMER 2017 degrees conferred
FALL 2017 degrees conferred
WINTER 2018 degrees conferred
SPRING 2018 degree candidates*
*Spring 2018 degree candidates, in order to get your name in the printed program AND be activated for commencement ticketing, please review all the information under eligibility.
Summer 2018 and Fall 2018 students are not automatically invited nor listed in the 2017-2018 printed program. These students are part of the next academic year, 2018-2019 academic year. Summer 18 and Fall 18 students may request to “walk” in the ceremony by filing a Special Request Form. Information about Special Request will be forthcoming in April, 2018 (Spring quarter, week one).
CURRENT DRAFT OF THE 2017-2018 PROGRAM NAME LISTINGS:
Bachelor of Science – BS (as of 05/25/2018)
Master of Science – MS (as of 05/25/2018)
Doctor of Philosophy – PHD (as of 05/25/2018)
NOTE: The printed program does not include the following students:
- students with privacy/FERPA restrictions
- Summer 2018 or Fall 2018 degree candidates who request to “walk” this year
Other *VERY* important items related to the printed program:
Summer 2018 and Fall 2018 candidates who are approved to “walk” in the ceremony (see section Who is Eligible?) will NOT be listed in the printed 2017-2018 program; however, their NAMES WILL BE ANNOUNCED during the ceremony as you cross the stage. Summer 2018 and Fall 2018 degree recipient names will be listed in the following year’s printed program (unless they have a privacy restriction!).
It is not possible to process final grades and prepare degree lists for our Spring 2017 candidates in time to present diplomas at Commencement. Diplomas will be available three to four months after the degree award date.
Please visit the Diploma FAQ available at the Registrar’s Office to review information pertaining to obtaining your diploma in person (no fee) or by mail (with fee) approximately seven weeks after the end of your final term. Consequently, you should notify the Registrar at 1113 Murphy Hall if there is any change in address after you graduate. You may also change your mailing address directly via MyUCLA.
For up-to-date diploma availability information, call the Diploma Hotline at (310)825-8883.
NOTE: The name printed on your diploma will be your official name on file with the University Registrar’s Office. Please check your name!! If your name has changed or is misspelled, file a name change form at the Registrar’s Office to ensure official records are updated appropriately.
VISA LETTER REQUEST
I need to obtain a letter for visa purposes in order to invite family members to the Commencement Ceremony, what do I need to do?
International Students (J1 or F1 visa holders)
International Students (typically hold an F1 or J1 visa) who need to obtain visa letters to invite family members to Commencement should begin with the Dashew Center for International Students and Scholars (DCISS).
Domestic Students (US Citizen or Permanent Resident)
Domestic Students (Permanent Resident or Citizens of the United States) who need to obtain visa letters to invite family members to Commencement should begin with the Office of Academic and Student Affairs (OASA).
OASA requires you do the below two steps to initiate the visa letter process.
- STEP 1: verify you actually meet eligibility to participate in Commencement
- STEP 2: Submit necessary information to OASA so we can create the invitation letter.
Submit information at: Visa Letter Request for Domestic Students
Please allow 5-7 business days for the visa letter after submission (granted you meet Step 1 eligibility). You will receive an email notification when the letter is ready for pick-up at 6426 BH. You must present a UCLA Bruin ID or other relevant identification for pick-up.
CONTACT AND OTHER QUESTIONS
Questions about the ceremony not covered here can be directed to the Engineering Commencement team via MyUCLA Message Center.