You must have a genuine passion for engineering the best electric vehicles in the world. You must want to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial company. We are building real products. This must excite you. You must be a builder. You’ll work alongside accomplished, world-renowned engineers on perhaps the most exciting automotive programs in existence today.
Mechanical engineering within the Battery Pack Team requires strong engineering skills, a passion to push the boundaries of technology and the drive to make your designs successful. The Battery Team collaborates closely with other departments, requiring a team player mentality. Our team requires each individual to be self-motivated and disciplined.
- Develop the core technology of Tesla Motors, make design improvements to Model S and X vehicles, and push our technology further for the next generation vehicles.
- Use CAD to develop new concepts.
- Develop and fabricate functional prototypes and test methods to vet out new concepts.
- Collaborate closely with suppliers to develop parts.
- Complete design cycles from concepts to fully validated production designs.
- Support service, manufacturing, and purchasing as needed to ensure your parts and designs are successfully implemented.
- Demonstrated successful experience in mechanical engineering from concept through production release with a focus on DFM.
- A detail oriented personality with solid documentation and reporting skills.
- Proficient in CAD modeling, CATIA v5 or v6/3DX experience a plus but not mandatory.
- Experience with various manufacturing processes such as plastic injection molding, metal stamping, extruding, casting, welding/brazing, plating, heat treating, bonding, and fastener selection. Direct machine shop skills a plus.
- Test experience, including knowledge of sensors, DACs, data collection and data analysis.
- New grad to 5 years mechanical engineering experience.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering. MS beneficial but not required.
- Experience with student vehicle competition beneficial.