Pharmaceutical Technical Development- Outstanding Student Award 2020
The Pharmaceutical Technical Development, US Biologics (PTDU) organization functions as the bridge
between Research and Manufacturing, taking processes from laboratory bench-scale to manufacturing-scale.
The mission of PTDU is to design, develop, scale up and implement cost-effective production systems and
technologies for therapeutic drug candidates to fulfill the demands of Genentech’s Research, Development,
Commercial and Production Operations groups.
The Genentech PTDU Student Awards were founded to recognize outstanding students in disciplines related
to the field of Biotechnology at selected schools. One student award winner from UCLA, based on their
passion for biotech and high scholastic achievement will be awarded $3,500. The student award winner will
also be guaranteed a three-month summer intern position starting in May/June 2020 at Genentech’s South
San Francisco location in California in one of the following areas:
Cell Culture and Fermentation Purification
Protein Analytical Chemistry Pharmaceutical and Device Development
Pilot Plant Operations PR&D Business Excellence, Strategy and Training
To learn more about these unique and interesting departments, please visit http://making.gene.com/1/start/
• Enrolled in junior year of undergraduate program
• Preferred disciplines: Chemical engineering, bioengineering, chemistry, biochemistry, biology, computer
science (other STEM disciplines also considered)
• High scholastic achievement, strong critical thinking, communication and collaboration skills
• Experience working in research labs or industry is highly desirable
Fill out the Genentech OSA gForm (tinyurl.com/Genentech-OSA), and include:
• Transcript (that includes your GPA)
• Two professional references (email, phone number, and address)
• Essay: Genentech’s values are embodied in the Roche Purpose Statement “Doing now what patients
need next”. In 500 words or less, describe what this means to you and what you think this means about
the culture of Genentech.
The application deadline is October 23, 2019. Finalists may be contacted for a brief phone interview OR
on-campus interview and the winner will be announced by November 1, 2019.
Genentech is dedicated to fostering an environment that is inclusive and encourages diversity of thought,
style, skills and perspective. Genentech is an equal opportunity employer.
For any questions/information about the program, send an email to: or