UCLA Samueli DEPARTMENTAL SCHOLAR PROGRAM
*Subject to Change*
The Departmental Scholar Program (DSP) for The Samueli School of Engineering allows exceptional juniors and seniors to pursue their bachelor’s and master’s degrees simultaneously.
The program offers advanced students access to graduate level classes and an opportunity to do graduate level research under the direct supervision of the School’s distinguished faculty.
To apply for the Departmental Scholars Programs, students must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Completion of 24 courses (96 quarter units) at UCLA or a similar institution
- A 3.700 CUMULATIVE GPA (UC COURSES ONLY)
- A 3.700 GPA MAJOR FIELD UPPER DIVISION GPA (UC COURSES ONLY)
- Officially declared in a major
Student must have completed 24 courses or 96 quarter units at UCLA, or the equivalent at another institution, and have completed the requirements in preparation for a major. Departments will designate only exceptionally promising students as Departmental Scholars, subject to approval of the Graduate Council. The Departmental Scholar will be admitted provisionally to the Los Angeles Graduate Division in his or her department. In order to obtain both a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree, the Departmental Scholar must fulfill requirements of each of these programs. No course may be used to fulfill the requirements of both these degrees. An application and recommendation letters from your faculty advisor and department’s graduate Vice Chair are additionally required.
We recommend student apply to the Engineering DSP during his/her junior year, no later than 4 quarters prior to the student’s expected degree term.
The quarter application period is Monday week 3 – Friday of week 4, applications will NOT be accepted outside the application period.
Please note that only courses taken in the Department Scholar effective term, or later, can be applied toward the M.S. degree.
Complete application form Dept_Scholar_Application
1. Review your Degree Audit Report (DARS) to check for accuracy and to make sure that your Technical Breadth Area (TBA) is declared
2. Obtain recommendation letter from a faculty member in your major department
3. Obtain letter of support from your major department’s graduate vice chair
4. Application must be submitted electronically to Myrna Reneau (email@example.com) with a cc: to Jan LaBuda (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Application process may take up to 3 months.
After submission of application materials, the Office of Academic and Student Affairs will verify that GPA and units requirements are met and that application is complete and then will forward to the Dean of Graduate Division for review. Subject to Graduate Division approval, the student and OASA is formally admitted to the Departmental Scholar Program and the student will be notified by email
- Requirements for the Bachelor’s degree are detailed at https://www.seasoasa.ucla.edu/curricular-requirements-department-information/
and can be reviewed with the Office of Academic and Student Affairs
academic counselors https://www.seasoasa.ucla.edu/counselors/
- Course Requirement for the M.S. degree can be discussed with the department graduate counselor listed at
- No course may be used to fulfill the requirements of both the B.S.and M.S.degrees.
- Enrollment in Graduate Level Courses: Because all graduate level courses are restricted to graduate students, Departmental Scholars will need to obtain enrollment permission from your counselor.
- Graduate Record Exam: Departmental Scholars are not required to take the GRE. However, students planning to apply to other programs or universities or the PhD program are required to take the GRE general test.
Questions regarding eligibility for the Department Scholar Program can be referred to Myrna Reneau (email@example.com) or
Jan LaBuda (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the HSSEAS Office of Academic & Student Affairs