About the Program
The Student Professional Worker (SPW) Program is a paid internship that provides college level
Information Technology students valuable on-the-job training and experience, mentoring, and
preparation for future career opportunities not only with LADWP but with other City departments as
well. SPWs will assist and perform a wide-range of technical duties supporting the day-to-day
operations of LADWP’s Information Technology Services Division. SPWs will work under the direct
supervision of LADWP IT professionals and are expected to progress and develop their IT knowledge,
skills and experience throughout the program.
1. Currently enrolled as a full-time student in a declared Information Technology major in an
accredited university or college.
2. Be at a Junior or Senior standing in the declared Information Technology major curriculum, but
not in your final quarter/semester prior to graduation at the time of application.
3. Have career goals, curriculum, experience, and/or interests related to the business of the
4. Have the ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing.
5. Be a United States citizen or permanent resident (Green Card holder), or have the legal right to
work permanently in the United States.
6. A California Driver License may also be required for the job.
7. Background check conducted in accordance with LADWP procedures and/or in accordance with
NERC CIP policy requirements.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted in Spring 2020 for the Academic Program Year 2020. Check online at
ladwp.com/jobs under internships or your career center for information as it becomes available.
When filing period is open, candidates will send an email or apply online with the following
• Application, Cover Letter, & Resume
• School Transcript – unofficial transcript with completed curriculum courses and grades earned
• Optional Documents – reference letter, certifications, etc.
Applications will be reviewed and the best qualified candidates will be contacted for the next phase of
• The Academic Program year will start in July and end in June
• SPWs are compensated $19.74 per hour
• SPWs may be assigned to our Downtown LA or San Fernando Valley Offices
For questions about the Program, please send an email to: