Enrollment in 194 (Research Group) and 199 (Directed Research) and
95 or 195 (Internship) Courses
Specific to “99” courses, these research experiences are processed by the
Student Research Program – SRP http://www.ugresearchsci.ucla.edu/srpintro.htm
therefore, effective immediately, “99” course contracts do NOT need approval by HSSEAS Office of Academic and Student Affairs
Effective Immediately, the campus now requires Lab Safety Training BEFORE Beginning Research. Students are now REQUIRED to submit a hard copy of their lab training certificates when submitting contracts to enroll in:
99, 196, 198, 199 research in engineering*, medicine, life sciences and physical sciences – click here for details
*enrollment in a 199 under any department in HSSEAS requires the training certificate
This requirement does NOT apply to MATH, STATS or AOS 194 (Research Group) and 199 (Directed Research) Courses
- Course 194, if a 194 is offered for the term, it will be be under the academic department offering the course (e.g. Com Sci) and it will be on the schedule of classes and enrollment is through MyUCLA – http://my.ucla.edu/
The enrollment is usually restricted to Instructor consent.
- Course 199 – the procedure to request enrollment in a 199 is as follows:
- Log on to MyUCLA – http://my.ucla.edu/ and click on “contract courses” and follow the instructions.
After selecting the Instructor, make sure to select the academic department that the Instructor is affiliated with, NOT “ENGR” (i.e. select the department as Computer Science if your Instructor is a Computer Science Professor, Bioengineering if your Instructor is a Professor in the Bioengineering Department etc.). Be sure to obtain, on the contract, the signature of the Instructor and the Chair or Vice Chair of the Instructors department.
- Student submits to HSSEAS Office of Academic and Student Affairs, 6426BH,2a) a hard copy of the completed contract formno later than the Tuesday of week 2 of the enrollment term to avoid the 3rd week add deadline fee. We advise that you obtain the Instructors’ signatures, required on the contract form, BEFORE the quarter begins to help assure that you meet this deadline.2b) a hard copy of student’s lab training certificates
- If the 199 contract is approved,
- student must submit a written report to the instructor for final grade (speak directly with the instructor for details)
- a COPY of the report must be submitted to 6426 BH and noted on the report must be, signature of the instructor
- final grade
For the course credit policy on 194 and 199s refer to 194 (Research Group) and 199 (Research Seminar) Course Credit Policy
Engr 95 or 195 (Internship Studies)*
(Engr 95 is for lower division students and 195 for upper division students.)
The procedure to request enrollment in an Engr 95 or 195 is as follows:
- Student completes a contract by going to MyUCLA – http://my.ucla.edu/ and click on “contract courses”
- Student submits to HSSEAS Office of Academic and Student Affairs, 6426BH, no later than the Tuesday of week 2 of the term to avoid the 3rd week add fee:
- hard copy of the completed contract form
- University of California liability waiver http://www.oirm.ucla.edu/waiver-voluntary.pdf
- letter from the internship employer which includes:
- number of weekly internship hours
- period of internship (start and end date)
- outline of internship responsibilities
- name, title and contact information for Internship Supervisor
- letter must be signed by Internship Supervisor or Human Resources
- If the 95 or 195 contract approved,
- grading is P/NP only
- effective SU08, variable 2-4 units
- course will not satisfy major degree requirements
- normally only one internship course will be allowed
- student must complete a written report documenting work/duties performed
- report must be signed by student’s supervisor at the business where the student is
- written report must be submitted to 6426 BH by the Friday of the final week of the
- Students who have a NP grade in an ENGR 95 or 195 will NOT be approved enrollment in additional ENGR 95/195s.
- For ENGR 195, a student is not required a 3.0 Major Field GPA, but the student must at minimum be in good academic standing
- Internship dates must fall with the dates of the quarter of the ENGR 95/195
- International Students who are enrolling in an ENGR 95/195 should consult with the Dashew Center for International Students & Scholars
Lab Safety Training BEFORE Beginning Research (Students are advised to sign up for training well in advance of enrollment deadlines – Students are now REQUIRED to submit a hard copy of
their lab training certificates when submitting contracts to enroll in 99, 196, 198, 199 research in engineering, medicine, life sciences and physical science)
All students, volunteers, and staff members must receive the proper training BEFORE they begin working in the laboratory. The following information outlines minimum training requirements and additional resources:
- The “Laboratory Safety Fundamental Concepts” class is required for all students, volunteers, and staff in laboratories. Please see the
EH&S training schedule for class dates and enrollment instructions.
- The “Laboratory Safety for Principle Investigators/Laboratory Supervisors” class is required for all PIs with laboratories. This class
was specifically designed for faculty and supervisors in laboratory settings.
Please see the EH&S training schedule for class dates and enrollment instructions.
- Given the importance of fire safety, all new students, volunteers, and staff members should receive fire safety training. EH&S has
developed a number of resources to assist you such as:
For guidance on what training is required based on the type of research being conducted, please refer to the lab safety training matrix. For further information please refer to the EH&S Training FAQ – click here
Consult with your HSSEAS Academic Counselor if you have any questions regarding 194, 95 or 195 or 199 courses.