Change of Major information for students who are already in the School of Engineering (HSSEAS) and are interested in changing their major to another HSSEAS major.
- I am interested in changing my major to another HSSEAS major
- I am interested in changing my major to a major OUTSIDE of HSSEAS
- I am interested in adding a 2nd major or a minor (Double Major and Minor information)
Students should submit a change or major by the end of their 2nd (sophomore) year. Submit applications in week 1 & 2 (see application period on this page). This includes requests from CSE to CS. Students still planning to submit a change of major should do so ASAP to avoid complications and delays in degree clearance.
(1) Undeclared Engineering student wanting to declare a major within HSSEAS
(2) All other majors:
Students within HSSEAS who are in good academic standing AND show that they can succeed in the preparatory and major-specific courses for the major they are applying to will be considered for a change of major.
You should already be enrolling in Engineering Courseloads aka at least 1 Math and 1 Science/Engineering course from the listed prep courses per term while enrolled in a minimum of 12 units per term. If you need help planning, you are welcome to attend our change of major workshops (sign up available in 6426 BH) or to make an appointment with a counselor.
- Because they are severely impacted majors, it is NOT possible for students admitted to HSSEAS as junior level transfers to change into the Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering majors. Students admitted to HSSEAS as junior level transfers may request a change of major to other HSSEAS majors than the ones listed above before the end of their 2nd quarter in residence at UCLA. Such requests are rare and considered on a case by case basis if the student would have originally applied and been directly admitted to the desired HSSEAS major. (See Information for Transfer applicants)
- During your first year, you must may apply after you have completed a minimum of two quarters
- Students should submit a change or major no later the end of their 2nd (sophomore) year. This includes requests from CSE to CS. Students still planning to submit a change of major should do so ASAP to avoid complications and delays in degree clearance.
- Students will NOT be approved more than one change of major to a HSSEAS major. Students are encouraged to research the various engineering disciplines thoroughly before filing for change of major.
- Students applying to the following majors must also:
Computer Engineering major (new major Fall 2017),
must have completed
COM SCI 31 and EL ENGR* 3 with a grade of C or better on the first attempt
AND COM SCI 32 and EL ENGR* M16/COM SCI M51A with a grade of B- or better on the first attempt.
* effective Winter 2018, EL ENGR will become EC ENGR due to the Department of Electrical Engineering name change to
the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Computer Science or Computer Science and Engineering majors,
Effective Fall 17, Students applying to Computer Science or Computer Science and Engineering must complete COM SCI 31 with a C or better (not a C-) on the first attempt AND COM SCI 32 and 33 with B- grades or better on the first attempt. This is a firm requirement.
Meeting the minimum criteria does not guarantee approval
Listed below are the Engineering Prep Courses referred to many times in the eligibility requirement.
Be sure as you are building your Quarterly workloads that you are including at least one Math course and one Science course from the major that you are applying to while additionally being enrolled in 12 units. This is the MINIMUM. Most recommended major schedules are have more major courses per quarter. Please see course plans and requirements in the HSSEAS Announcement or at HSSEAS Undergraduate Curricular Requirements and Department Information. The Announcement is also available in booklet form, free of charge, in 6426 Boelter Hall.
Prep courses that apply to ALL HSSEAS MAJORS:
MATH 31A, 31B, 32A, 32B, 33A, 33B, PHYSICS 1A, 1B, 1C and CHEM 20A.
Additional prep courses specific to individual HSSEAS MAJORS:
(You are advised to refer to the HSSEAS Announcement for details on major requirements)
Aerospace Engineering – CHEM 20B, 20L, PHYSICS 4AL, 4BL
Bioengineering – CHEM 20B, 20L, 30A, 30B, 30AL, PHYSICS 4AL, LIFESCI 2, 3, 23L
Chemical Engineering – CHEM 20B, 20L, 30A, 30B, 30AL, PHYSICS 4AL
Civil Engineering – CHEM 20B, 20L, PHYSICS 4AL
Computer Science/Computer Science and Engineering – PHYSICS 4AL, 4BL, MATH 61, COM SCI 31 and COM SCI 32
Electrical Engineering – PHYSICS 4AL, 4BL
Materials Engineering- CHEM 20B, 20L, PHYSICS 4AL
Mechanical Engineering – CHEM 20B, 20L, PHYSICS 4AL, 4BL
Majors that require at least one Prep course taken at UCLA be Chemistry at the time of applying (transfer credit does not count):
Majors that require at least one Prep course taken at UCLA be Physics or Chemistry at the time of applying (transfer credit does not count):
Computer Science & Engineering
Majors that require at least one Prep course taken at UCLA be Physics at the time of applying (transfer credit does not count):
There is no paperwork you need from HSSEAS to process this change. We recommend that you are in communication with the department of the major you are interested in to find out if they have any minimum eligibility or additional required paperwork.
It is helpful to notify an HSSEAS counselor of your intent to change majors. This is more of a courtesy, but if there are any complications we have the note that you are in the middle of changing majors and can help resolve things quickly.
HSSEAS students interested in adding a 2nd major or minor should meet with the 2nd major or minor department advisor. Are there any minimum course or grade requirements required before you can declare? You must additionally receive pre-approval from the HSSEAS Office of Academic and Student Affairs. To get this pre-approval, you must create a quarter by quarter course plan. Pay attention to requisites, as well as tentative or past course offerings when making your plan. You don’t have to know every course, but you should be able to put in required courses and at least specify, Elective, Tech Breadth, etc. When you have your plan, pick up an Undergraduate Request to Double Major or Add Minor form from 6426 Boelter Hall and submit your plan for review.
- The Bioinformatics and the Environmental Engineering minors are the two minors within HSSEAS. There
are no other engineering minors. ALL students regardless of major are welcome to apply to these minors. You must be admitted to these minor programs before your final term. SEE BELOW:
- Double majors involving two majors within HSSEAS is not allowed (e.g. Aerospace Engineering and Computer Science) For double majors, one must be a HSSEAS major and the other must be a major outside HSSEAS; the primary major must be in the HSSEAS (e.g. Aerospace Engineering and Math of Computation)
- If requesting Majors and minors housed in the College of Letters and Science, please note that those departments may not approve you once you have 150+ units completed
- A student whose current major is in the College of Letters & Science would need to meet the eligibility requirements to change their primary major to HSSEAS and then request to add double major.
- Once you have completed your degree, you may not add a double major or minor.
Eligibility requirements for students who are attempting to add a MINOR in Bioinformatics,
- Be in good academic standing (2.0 grade point average, or better)
- Have completed 2 of the 3 lower division requirements* with a minimum grade of C
- CS 32 OR Pic 10C
- Math 33A
- LS 3+23L OR LS 7A
- File a petition in the Office of Academic and Student Affairs of the Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science, 6426 Boelter Hall. This petition may be filed at any time during the year. However, please allow 2-4 weeks for processing. If one of the requirements is still in progress, petition may be held for grades to post.
Eligibility requirements for students that are attempting to add a MINOR in EnvironmentalEngineering,
*Required Lower Division Course (4 units): Mathematics 3C or 32A
- Be in good academic standing (2.0 grade-point average or better)
- File a petition in the Office of Academic and Student Affairs of the Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science, 6426 Boelter Hall. This petition may be filed at any time during the year however, please allow 2-4 weeks for processing.