Undergraduate Research Program
We support students who are interested in or currently doing research.
- Percentage of 2018 graduating seniors who participated in research by graduation 40% 40%
The purpose of the Undergraduate Research Program is to support undergraduate students currently conducting research in communicating and publishing their work.
The Undergraduate Research Program is a new initiative from the UCLA Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science to develop first-in-class research opportunities that lead to undergraduates who are well-informed about engineering career opportunities in both academic and corporate settings.
UCLA Engineering boasts some of the world’s top researchers working at the forefront of technological innovation. In collaboration with multiple UCLA schools as well as universities around the globe, the UCLA Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science is leading initiatives that have the potential to change our world.
URP has two programs – the academic year program and the summer program.
URP spans the academic year and consists of several workshops and activities.
- Technical Presentation Lab
- Poster Workshops
- Undergraduate Research Week Poster Day
- Professional Development Workshops and Industry Info-Sessions
- End of Year Awards Reception
- Master various skills, including deciphering technical journal articles and communicating research findings.
- Advising on securing paid research or industry positions.
- Network with industry representatives in an intimate setting.
- Be recognized for you research and receive an official certificate signed by the Dean.
- Qualify for $750 award for Best Poster and/or Best Presentation.
Resources & Links
- Finding a Research Lab
- Research Openings (mostly at other universities)
- Pathways to Science (national database of research opportunities supported by NSF)
- UCLA Research Portal (on-campus)
- UCLA Undergraduate Research Center – Sciences
- Other Research Programs and Opportunities
- ENGR 191 seminar (connects graduate student mentors with undergraduates looking for research)
- Getting course credit for research
- Type of Research at UCLA Samueli
- UCLA Engineering’s Six Critical Areas of Research
- Research Centers and Institutes
- Faculty Expertise Directory
- Departmental Research Pages
Drop In Advising
Advising @ Engineering Resource Center, Boelter 6288
Monday: 8am – 11am & 1pm – 5pm
Tuesday: 8am – 11am & 2pm – 3pm
Wednesday: 8am – 11am & 1pm – 5pm
Thursday: 8am – 11am & 2pm – 3pm
Friday: 9am – 11am & 12 – 5pm
To make an appointment, complete the pre-advising questionnaire.
(click link or scan QR code)
ENG 24: Finding an Undergraduate Research Opportunity Seminar
ENG 24 is a new course designed to help engineering students secure their first research position!
This course is offered Fall, Winter, and Spring.
Take a look at the syllabus:
ENG 25: Communicating Academic Research Seminar
ENG 25 is a new course designed to assist undergraduate students publish their first research!
This course is ONLY offered in Winter.
Take a look at the syllabus:
Publishing in Undergraduate Research Program 2019 Journal
If you are interested in publishing your research in the 2019 URP Research Journal, please click the above link for further instructions!
The URP Research Journal serves as the first on-campus publication experience before you move on to other research publications, such as conference papers and professional peer-review journals. This is not a peer-review journal, and everyone within the School of Engineering is welcome to submit their research work as a first step towards higher-level research.
Undergraduate Research Program 2019 Journal
(click cover to view 2018-2019 participants and their research)
Undergraduate Research Program 2018 Journal
(click cover to view 2017-2018 participants and their research)
(click cover to view Summer 2018 participants and their research)
(click cover to view Summer 2019 participants and their research)
(PDF of 2019 journal coming soon, click cover to go to Research Week website)
Academic Year Program
There are two application windows: Fall and Spring. The fall application window is for research starting winter quarter. The spring application window is for research starting the following fall quarter.
For more information, read the URP program description.
2018 Academic Year Awards
2018 Best Poster Award Winner
Congratulations to Yashes Srinivasan!
2018 Best Presentation Award Winner
Congratulations to Richa Ghosh!
2019 Best Poster Award Winner
Congratulations to Ashley Dickman
2019 Best Presentation Award Winner
Congratulations to Kayli Masuda!
Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP)
SURP is URP’s summer session counterpart. The program encompasses all summer research that occurs at UCLA, whether it’s an REU site or independent faculty lab research. To learn more about the Summer Undergraduate Scholars Program or apply, click here.
Meet the team
Director of Undergraduate Internship Program and Undergraduate Research Program
(310) 825 - 9478
Use MyUCLA Message Center to get in contact with questions and concerns.
4th year Chemical Engineering
4th year Mechanical Engineering Major
4th year Chemical Engineering major
4th year Sociology major