Undergraduate Research Program
Welcome to Spring 2021! Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Undergraduate Research Program’s events and workshops will all be held online. Updates and services will be uploaded on this page and sent in our weekly email.
- Samueli Covid Resources
- UCLA Student Affairs Guidebook
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is open and has transitioned to telehealth service
CAPS Samueli Engineering Satelite hours will continue in a virtual format Spring 2021: details will be announced soon.
- COVID-19 Bruin Resources & Tools
- Remote learning, adjusting to website by the Center for the Advancement of Teaching
- Career Center Virtual Events
- Career Center Virtual Services
- Residential Life has many virtual student events to help build community
- Samueli Engineering’s COVID-19 Information Page for updates including FAQs from the School’s Town Hall
We support students who are interested in or currently doing research.
- Percentage of 2020 graduating seniors who participated in research by graduation 30% 30%
The purpose of the Undergraduate Research Program is to support undergraduate students currently conducting research in communicating and publishing their work.
UCLA Engineering boasts some of the world’s top researchers working at the forefront of technological innovation. In collaboration with multiple UCLA schools as well as universities around the globe, the UCLA Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science is leading initiatives that have the potential to change our world.
URP has two programs – the academic year program and the summer program.
- Technical Presentation Lab
- Poster Workshops
- Undergraduate Research Week Poster Day
- Professional Development Workshops and Industry Info-Sessions
- End of Year Awards Reception
- Master various skills, including deciphering technical journal articles and communicating research findings.
- Advising on securing paid research or industry positions.
- Network with industry representatives in an intimate setting.
- Be recognized for you research and receive an official certificate signed by the Dean.
- Qualify for $750 award for Best Poster and/or Best Presentation.
Spring 2021 Events
Drop-in advising sessions are now virtual!
To make an appointment, complete the pre-advising questionnaire.
ENGR 24: Finding an Undergraduate Research Opportunity Seminar
ENGR 24 is a new course designed to help engineering students secure their first research position!
This course is offered Fall, Winter, and Spring.
Take a look at the syllabus:
ENG 25: Communicating Academic Research Seminar
ENG 25 is a new course designed to assist undergraduate students publish their first research!
This course is ONLY offered in Winter.
Take a look at the syllabus:
The Undergraduate Research Program hosts many talented and bright scholars.
Are you interested in publishing your research? Please visit the application website here!
NSF funded SMART project at UCLA Undergraduate Experiment Opportunity
Join Space Weather Experiment Project “Surface Magnetic Assessment in Real Time (SMART) Network”
We are looking for undergraduate engineering students to participate in:
- Construction of magnetic sensors for space weather observations
- Web development for real-time data visualization
Off-campus work can start as early as January 2021. Interested students can send resume and UCLA transcripts (unofficial copies acceptable) to:
Dr. Peter Chi, Department of Earth Planetary and Space Sciences ()
Drop-In Peer Advising
Drop-in advising sessions are closed for the summer!
Career Advising at the Career Center
Virtual Drop-In Sessions
Visit the Career Center virtual drop-in room for resume/cover letter reviews, and job and internship questions.
Virtual One-on-One Career Advising Consultations
Schedule a full 30-minute advising session through Handshake. A full consultation is a great way to:
- Clarify your career preferences
- Explore career options
- Target and optimize your job search
- Prepare application materials
- Investigate employment and graduate school opportunities
Weekday appointments can be booked up to three weeks in advance.
Engineering Faculty Advising
Here's a link to the Engineering Faculty Advising Resources Page!
We are now on YouTube!
Clips of our workshops, panels, and other series will be uploaded on our YouTube channel. Students have the opportunity to gain valuable information on industry internships and jobs by watching short clips!
SURP is URP’s summer session counterpart. The program encompasses all summer research that occurs at UCLA, whether it’s an REU site or independent faculty lab research. To learn more about the Summer Undergraduate Scholars Program or apply, click on the title.
Resources & Links
- Finding a Research Lab
- Research Openings (mostly at other universities)
- Research Postings Archive
- Pathways to Science (national database of research opportunities supported by NSF)
- UCLA Research Portal (on-campus)
- UCLA Undergraduate Research Center – Sciences
- Other Research Programs and Opportunities
- ENGR 191 seminar (connects graduate student mentors with undergraduates looking for research)
- Getting course credit for research
- Type of Research at UCLA Samueli
- UCLA Engineering’s Six Critical Areas of Research
- Research Centers and Institutes
- Faculty Expertise Directory
- Departmental Research Pages