Octant is a well-backed team of experienced scientists and entrepreneurs defining new frontiers of
biology. We are applying next-generation gene sequencing, synthesis, and editing to revolutionize drug
discovery in a quest for safer, more effective, and cheaper drugs.
Octant is looking for our Fall 2020 class of SynBio Apprentices! You’re a recent graduate
excited to train in synthetic biology before your next professional step. Whether you’re excited about startups,
working in industry, or planning on going to graduate school, you’re motivated by Octant’s mission to engineer
biology to rationalize drug discovery. As part of the Octant team, you’ll learn from some of the top scientists in
synthetic biology while helping move the state of our technology forward. You love working in the lab, are
organized, and take pride in your work. You thrive on getting things done, are eager to trouble-shoot random
tasks that arise in startups, and can navigate the uncertainty of an ever-changing and fast-paced environment.
As a SynBio Apprentice (SBA) at Octant, you’ll:
• Work closely with a scientist mentor to support and expand Octant’s synthetic biology technology and
next generation sequencing drug screening platform.
• Participate in technical workshops and learn skills such as analyzing data in R, flow cytometry,
mammalian tissue culture, cutting edge molecular cloning techniques, and more.
• Experience the multiple facets of a startup including recruiting and discussing scientific strategy.
• Expand your network with other startups, academic programs, and investors during network events
and monthly fireside chats.
This job might be great for you if you:
• Are looking for 1-2 years of full-time SynBio research and engineering experience to complement your
• Are interested in learning and leveraging next generation sequencing.
• Are excited about implementing novel techniques and playing a key role in developing scalable
• Have 1-4 years of undergraduate research experience in biology, biochemistry, bioengineering, or
other related areas.
• Enjoy working in the lab and get excited about learning and developing novel protocols that impact the
company workflow (for example, an SBA helped develop and currently runs OCTOPUS)!
• Are detail-oriented and thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative, team-oriented startup environment.
• Have a bachelors degree in a biology-related field or equivalent experience.
Have questions? Interested in applying? Please send a resume/CV to and check out our
SynBio Apprenticeship blogpost!
Octant is located in Emeryville, CA.
Medical, dental, & vision coverage with competitive compensation based on experience level.
Octant is an equal opportunity company. We welcome everyone, and we do our best to make sure all people
feel supported and connected at work. We’re working towards a more diverse scientific community, and
welcome applicants from all backgrounds.