2006-2007 Fees and Financial Support

Fees and Expenses

The 2006-07 annual UCLA student fees listed below are current as of publication. See the quarterly Schedule of Classes for breakdown by term or see http://www.registrar.ucla.edu/fees/ for updates.

2006-07 Annual UCLA Graduate and Undergraduate Fees
Fees are subject to revision without notice
Graduate Students Undergraduate Students
Resident Nonresident Resident Nonresident
University registration fee $ 735.00 $ 735.00 $ 735.00 $ 735.00
Educational fee 6,162.00 6,429.00 5,406.00 5,922.00
Undergraduate Students Association fee 119.73 119.73
Graduate Students Association fee 47.00 47.00
Ackerman Student Union fee 19.50 19.50 19.50 19.50
Seismic fee for Ackerman/Kerckhoff 113.00 113.00 113.00 113.00
Wooden Center fee 45.00 45.00 45.00 45.00
Student Programs, Activities, and Resources Complex fee 84.00 84.00 84.00 84.00
Mandatory medical insurance 1080.00 1080.00 621.00 621.00
Nonresident tuition 14,694.00 18,168.00
Total mandatory fees $ 8,285.50 $ 23,246.50 $ 7,143.23 $ 25,827.23

Students who are not legal residents of California (out-of-state and international students) pay a nonresident tuition fee. See the UCLA General Catalog appendix or the frequent questions residence section at http://www.registrar.ucla.edu for information on how to determine residence for tuition purposes; further inquiries may be directed to the Residence Deputy, 1113 Murphy Hall, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90024-1429.

In addition to the fees below, students should be prepared to pay living expenses for the academic period.

Living Accommodations

Housing in Los Angeles, both on and off campus, is in great demand. Students should make arrangements early.

The Community Housing Office, 360 De Neve Drive, Box 951495, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1495, (310) 825-4491, http://www .cho.ucla.edu, provides information and current listings for University-owned apartments, cooperatives, private apartments, roommates, rooms in private homes, room and board in exchange for work, and short-term housing. A current BruinCard or a letter of acceptance and valid photo identification card are required for service.

For information on residence halls and suites, contact UCLA Housing Services, 360 De Neve Drive, Box 951381, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1381, (310) 206-7011; see http://www.housing.ucla.edu/myhousing/. Newly admitted students are sent UCLA Housing , which describes costs, locations, and eligibility for both private and UCLA-sponsored housing.

The Dashew International Center for Students and Scholars, 106 Bradley International Hall, http://www.intl.ucla.edu, provides personalized housing assistance for international students. Additionally, the center helps students adjust to the UCLA community and sponsors social activities.

Financial Aid

Undergraduate Students

Financial aid at UCLA includes scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study programs. Applications for each academic year are available in January. The priority application deadline for financial aid for the 2007-08 academic year is March 2, 2007. With the exception of certain scholarships, awards are based on need as determined by national financial aid criteria. California residents must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). International students in their first year are ineligible for aid. Continuing undergraduate international students are asked to submit a separate Financial Aid Application for International Students.

Information on UCLA financial aid pro-grams is available at the Financial Aid Office, A129J Murphy Hall, (310) 206-0400; see http://www.fao.ucla.edu.


All UCLA undergraduate scholarship awards are made on a competitive basis, with consideration given to academic excellence, achievement, scholastic promise, and financial need. Scholarships are awarded to entering and continuing undergraduates. The term and amount of the award vary; students are expected to maintain academic excellence in their coursework.

Regents Scholarships are awarded to students with an outstanding academic record and a high degree of promise. Regents Scholars receive a yearly honorarium if they have no financial need. If financial need is established, other scholarships and/or grants are awarded to cover that need. Need is determined according to financial aid criteria legislated by Congress.

The following scholarships are available only to HSSEAS undergraduates:

James W. Binns Scholarship. For a sophomore, junior, or senior in any HSSEAS major, with financial need and a 3.0 or higher GPA.

Eugene Birnbaum Scholarship. For sophomore engineering students with interest in research

Stanley Black Scholarship--Sponsored by the Jewish Community Foundation. For an engineering student with high academic achievement

L.M.K. Boelter Scholarship Fund. For students in the field of engineering

Chevron U.S.A., Inc., Scholarship. For students in chemical engineering

Charles Martin Duke, Jr., Scholarship in Structural Engineering. For a junior in the field of structural engineering

Engineering Senior Gift. For a sophomore or junior HSSEAS student who has completed at least two quarters at UCLA and is involved in student organizations, programs, projects, or community service

General Motors Scholarship. For aerospace, mechanical, or electrical engineering majors

W. Brandt Goldsworthy Scholarship. For students studying composite materials in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering

Haller Scholarship. Field of electrical engineering; to provide significant assistance, primarily for students 25 years old or over

Betsy and Alfred Ingersoll Scholarship. For a sophomore, junior, or senior in any HSSEAS major. Extracurricular activities and leadership are considered

William J. Knapp Scholarship in Ceramics. For a junior or senior in materials engineering for achievement in studies related to ceramics

Eugene H. Kopp Scholarship. For a junior or senior in the field of electrical engineering with an interest in aviation

Lear Siegler Scholarship. For a junior or senior (must be U.S. citizen) selected by priority from aerospace engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering (CAD/CAM emphasis), computer science and engineering

Richard B. Nelson Memorial Scholarship Fund. For civil engineering students with an interest in structures

Northrop Grumman Scholarship. For a junior or senior in any HSSEAS major with a minimum 3.0 GPA. Character is considered

Radio Club of America Scholarship. For a junior or senior studying wireless communications

Stanton and Stockwell Scholarship. For an engineering student with financial need. Extracurricular activities and leadership essential

Kalpesh Vardhan Engineering Scholarship. For an undergraduate engineering student of any standing with no minimum GPA requirement. Selection based on application/essay

George Andrew Zizicas Memorial Scholarship. For a sophomore, junior, or senior in any HSSEAS major

For more scholarship information, see http://seasoasa.ucla.edu/fee.html.


Cal Grants A and B are awarded by the California Student Aid Commission to entering and continuing undergraduate students who are U.S. citizens or eligible noncitizens and California residents. Based on financial need and academic achievement, these awards are applied toward educational and registration fees.

Federal Pell Grants are federal aid awards designed to provide financial assistance to those who need funds to attend post-high school educational institutions. Undergraduate students who are U.S. citizens or eligible noncitizens are required by the University to apply.

Detailed information on other grants for students with demonstrated need is available from the Financial Aid Office, A129J Murphy Hall, (310) 206-0400, http://www.fao.ucla.edu.

Federal Family Education Loan Program

Federal loans are available to undergraduate or graduate students who are U.S. citizens or eligible noncitizens and who are carrying at least a half-time academic workload. Information on loan programs is available from the Financial Aid Office, A129J Murphy Hall, or on the web at http://www.fao.ucla.edu.

When graduating, transferring, withdrawing, or taking a leave of absence, UCLA students who have received campus-based loans must complete an exit interview with Student Loan Services. The exit interview is provided to help students better understand and plan for loan repayment. Failure to complete an exit interview results in a hold being placed on all university services and records. In addition, if the campus-based loans become delinquent following separation from UCLA, all university services and records will be withheld. For further information concerning loan repayment, visit the Student Loan Services Office, A227 Murphy Hall, (310) 825-9864; see http://www.loans.ucla.edu.

Work-Study Programs

Under Federal Work-Study , the federal government pays a portion of the hourly wage, and the employer contributes the balance. When possible, work is related to student educational objectives. Hourly pay rates comply with minimum wage laws and vary with the nature of the work, experience, and capabilities. Employment may be on or off campus. To be eligible, undergraduate and graduate students must demonstrate financial need and be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen. Submission of the financial aid application is required.

Community Service is a component of the Federal Work-Study program. Students who secure a community service position are eligible to petition for an increase in work-study funds of up to $5,000 while at the same time reducing their Perkins and/or Stafford loan by the amount of the increase. Most community service positions are located off campus.

Students must be enrolled at least half-time (6 units for undergraduates, 4 for graduate students) and not be appointed at more than 50 percent time while employed at UCLA. Students not carrying the required units or who exceed 50 percent time employment are subject to Social Security or Medicare taxation.

Graduate Students

A high percentage of HSSEAS graduate students receive departmental financial support.

Merit-Based Support

Three major types of merit-based support are available in the school:

Fellowships from University, private, or corporate funds (465 positions).

Employment as a teaching assistant (about 473 positions).

Employment as a graduate student researcher (about 1513 positions).

Fellowships usually provide stipends competitive with those of other major universities, plus registration and nonresident tuition fees (where applicable). These stipends may be supplemented by a teaching assistantship or graduate student researcher appointment. The awards are generally reserved for new students.

Teaching assistantships are awarded to students on the basis of scholarship and promise as teachers. Appointees serve under the supervision of regular faculty members. Half-time salaries (50 percent time) range from $14,573* to $17,086*, depending on experience.

Graduate student researcher (GSR) appointments are awarded to students on the basis of scholastic achievement and promise as creative scholars. Appointees perform research under the supervision of a faculty member in research work. Half-time salaries (49 percent time) range from $14,628† to $28,668†, depending on experience. Full-time employment in summer and interterm breaks is possible, depending on the availability of research funds from contracts or grants.

Since a graduate student researcher appointment constitutes employment in the service of a particular faculty member who has a grant, students must take the initiative in obtaining desired positions.

GSR appointments are generally awarded after one year of study at UCLA.

Applicants for departmental financial support must be accepted for admission to HSSEAS in order to be considered in the 2006-07 competition. Applicants should check the deadline for submitting the UCLA Application for Graduate Admission and the Fellowship Application for Entering Graduate Students with their preferred department.

*Nine-month 2004-05 salaries
†Eleven-month 2004-05 salaries

Need-Based Aid

Unlike the awards above, which are based solely on merit and administered by HSSEAS, the University also provides work-study and low-interest loans based on financial need exclusively.

Need-based awards are administered by the Financial Aid Office in A129J Murphy Hall. Financial aid applicants must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.

Continuing graduate students should contact the Financial Aid Office in December 2005 for information on 2006-07 application procedures.

International graduate students are not eligible for need-based University financial aid nor for long-term student loans.

School of Engineering Fellowships

Fellowship packages offered by HSSEAS may include fellowship contributions from the following sources:

AT&T Fellowships. Supports doctoral study in electrical engineering; must be U.S. citizen or permanent resident; optional summer research at AT&T

Atlantic Richfield Company (ARCO) Fellowship. Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering; supports study in chemical engineering

William and Mary Beedle Fellowship. Department of Chemical Biomolecular Engineering; supports study in chemical engineering

John J. and Clara C. Boelter Fellowship. Supports study in engineering

Leon and Alyne Camp Fellowship. Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering; supports study in engineering; must be U.S. citizen

Deutsch Company Fellowship. Supports engineering research on problems that aid "small business" in Southern California

GTE Fellowship. Departments of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering; supports study in computer science and electrical engineering

IBM Doctoral Fellowship. Supports doctoral study in computer science

Les Knesel Scholarship Fund. Department of Materials Science and Engineering; supports master's or doctoral students in ceramic engineering

T.H. Lin Graduate Fellowship. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering; supports study in the area of structures

Microelectronics Innovation and Computer Research Opportunities (MICRO). Supports students in electrical engineering, computer science, and materials science and engineering with interest in microelectronics who intend to remain in California after graduation; must be U.S. citizen or permanent resident

Microsoft Fellowship. Supports doctoral study in computer science

NCR Fellowship. Department of Computer Science; supports doctoral study in computer science

Martin Rubin Scholarship. Supports two undergraduate or graduate students pursuing a degree in civil engineering with an emphasis in structural engineering

Henry Samueli Fellowship. Department of Electrical Engineering; supports master's and doctoral students

Semiconductor Research Corporation Fellowship. Department of Electrical Engineering; supports doctoral students in microelectronics; must be U.S. citizen

Sun Microsystems Fellowship. Department of Computer Science; supports incoming graduate students in computer science

Texaco Scholarship. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering; supports research in the area of environmental engineering