2004-2005 Undergraduate Programs

Admission | Requirements for B.S. Degrees | Honors

The Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science (HSSEAS) offers nine four-year curricula listed below (see the departmental listings for complete descriptions of the programs).

  1. Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering, B.S. A.E.
  2. Bachelor of Science in Bioengineering, B.S. B.E.
  3. Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering, B.S. Ch.E.
  4. Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, B.S. C.E.
  5. Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, B.S. C.S.
  6. Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Engineering, B.S. C.S.&E.
  7. Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, B.S. E.E.
  8. Bachelor of Science in Materials Engineering, B.S. Mat.E.
  9. Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, B.S. M.E.


Applicants to HSSEAS must satisfy the general admission requirements of the University. See the Office of Admissions and Relations with Schools (UARS) website at http://www.admissions.ucla.edu for details. Applicants must select a major within the school when applying for admission. In the selection process many elements are considered, including grades, test scores, and academic preparation.

Students must submit their applications during the November 1 through 30 filing period. In addition, it is essential that official test scores for the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) I--or American College Test (ACT)--and three SAT II: Subject Tests be received no later than the date in January when the December test scores are normally reported.

Fulfilling the admission requirements, however, does not assure admission to the school. Limits have had to be set for the enrollment of new undergraduate students. Thus, not every applicant who meets the minimum requirements can be admitted.

Although applicants may qualify for admission to HSSEAS in freshman standing, many students take their first two years in engineering at a community college and apply to the school at the junior level. Students who begin their college work at a California community college are expected to remain at the community college to complete the lower division requirements in chemistry, computer programming, English composition, mathematics, physics, and the recommended engineering courses before transferring to UCLA.

Admission as a Freshman

University requirements specify a minimum of three years of mathematics, including the topics covered in elementary and advanced algebra and two- and three-dimensional geometry. Additional study in mathematics, concluding with calculus or precalculus in the senior year, is strongly recommended and typical for applicants to HSSEAS.

Freshman applicants must meet the University subject, scholarship, and examination requirements described at http://www.admissions.ucla.edu.

Credit for Advanced Placement Tests

Students may fulfill part of the school requirements with credit allowed at the time of admission for College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Tests with scores of 3, 4, or 5. Students with AP Test credit may exceed the 213-unit maximum by the amount of this credit. AP Test credit for freshmen entering Fall Quarter 2004 fulfills HSSEAS requirements as indicated on the AP chart.

Students who have completed 36 quarter units after high school graduation at the time of the examination receive no AP Test credit.

Admission as a Transfer Student

Admission as a junior-level transfer student is competitive. The University requires applicants to have completed a minimum of 60 transferable semester units (90 quarter units) and two transferable English courses prior to enrolling at UCLA. In addition, to be considered all applicants to HSSEAS majors must have at least a 3.2 grade-point average in their college work. Many of the majors in the school are impacted. Excellent grades, especially for courses in preparation for the major, are expected.

Completion of the required courses in preparation for the major is critical for admission. Articulation agreements between California community colleges and HSSEAS include college-specific course numbers for these requirements and can be found at http://www.assist.org. Applicants who are lacking two or more of the courses are unlikely to be admitted.

Required preparation for HSSEAS majors:

  1. Mathematics, including calculus I and II, calculus III (multivariable), differential equations, and linear algebra
  2. Calculus-based physics courses in mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and waves, sound, heat, optics, and modern physics
  3. Chemistry, including two terms of general chemistry. The Computer Science and Engineering major requires only one term of chemistry; the Computer Science major does not require chemistry, but one term of chemistry may be applied as a life science course
  4. Computer programming, including either Fortran, Pascal, C programming, or C++. Applicants to the Computer Science, Computer Science and Engineering, and Electrical Engineering majors should take C++.
  5. Biology, including one year of biology only for applicants to the Bioengineering major
  6. English composition courses, including one course equivalent to UCLA's English Composition 3 and a second UC-transferable English composition course

Transfer applicants may complete courses in addition to those above that satisfy degree requirements. Engineering and computer science courses appropriate for each major may be found at http://www.assist.org.

Lower Division Courses in Other Departments

Chemistry and Biochemistry 20A. Chemical Structure (4 units)

Chemistry and Biochemistry 20B. Chemical Energetics and Change (4 units)

Chemistry and Biochemistry 20L. General Chemistry Laboratory (3 units)

English Composition 3. English Composition, Rhetoric, and Language (5 units)

Mathematics 31A. Differential Calculus (4 units)

Mathematics 31B. Integration and Infinite Series (4 units)

Mathematics 32A, 32B. Calculus of Several Variables (4 units each)

Mathematics 33A. Linear Algebra and Applications (4 units)

Mathematics 33B. Differential Equations (4 units)

Physics 1A. Physics for Scientists and Engineers: Mechanics (5 units)

Physics 1B. Physics for Scientists and Engineers: Oscillations, Waves, Electric and Magnetic Fields (5 units)

Physics 1C. Physics for Scientists and Engineers: Electrodynamics, Optics, and Special Relativity (5 units)

Physics 4AL. Physics Laboratory for Scientists and Engineers: Mechanics (2 units)

Physics 4BL. Physics Laboratory for Scientists and Engineers: Electricity and Magnetism (2 units)

The courses in chemistry, mathematics, and physics are those required as preparation for majors in these subjects. Transfer students should select equivalent courses required for engineering or physical sciences majors.

Requirements for B.S. Degrees

The Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science awards B.S. degrees to students who have satisfactorily completed four-year programs in engineering studies.

The curricular requirements for the B.S. degrees in Aerospace Engineering, Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Science and Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Materials Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering consist of completing the minimum number of required units (from 181 to 205 units, depending on the curriculum selected), the general University requirements in scholarship, Entry-Level Writing or English as a Second Language (ESL) Requirements, and American History and Institutions Requirement, and the school requirements for scholarship and senior residence. The curricular requirements are described within each department.

University Requirements

These requirements are discussed in detail in the Undergraduate Study section of the UCLA General Catalog.

School Requirements
Scholarship and Minimum Progress

In addition to the University requirement of at least a C (2.0) grade-point average in all courses taken at any University of California campus, students must achieve at least a 2.0 grade-point average in all upper division University courses offered in satisfaction of the subject and elective requirements of the curriculum. A 2.0 minimum grade-point average in upper division mathematics, upper division core courses, and the major field is also required for graduation.

Full-time HSSEAS undergraduate students must complete a minimum of 36 units in three consecutive terms in which they are registered.

Academic Residence

Of the last 48 units completed for the B.S. degree, 36 must be earned in residence in HSSEAS on this campus. No more than 16 of the 36 units may be completed in Summer Sessions at UCLA.

Study Lists and Credit Limitations

Study Lists require approval of the dean of the school or a designated representative. It is the student's responsibility to present a Study List that reflects satisfactory progress toward the Bachelor of Science degree, according to standards set by the faculty. Study Lists or programs of study that do not comply with these standards may result in enforced withdrawal from the University or other academic action. Undergraduate students in the school are expected to enroll in at least 12 units each term. Students enrolling in less than 12 units must obtain approval by petition to the dean prior to enrollment in courses. The normal program is 16 units per term. Students may not enroll in more than 21 units per term unless an Excess Unit Petition is approved in advance by the dean.

Students must attain a minimum grade of C to satisfy the English Composition 3 requirement, which must be met by the end of the second year of enrollment at UCLA (a grade of C- does not satisfy this requirement). Undergraduates who have not taken (or otherwise satisfied the requirement for) English Composition 3 at the time they are admitted must complete the course at UCLA during Fall, Winter, Spring, or Summer Quarter. Students may also complete the equivalent to English Composition 3 at any other UC campus during the Summer Quarter only.

After 213 quarter units, enrollment may not normally be continued in the school without special permission from the associate dean. This regulation does not apply to Departmental Scholars.

After students have completed 105 quarter units (regardless of where the units have been completed), they do not receive unit credit or subject credit for courses completed at a community college.

Credit earned through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) may not be applied toward the bachelor's degree.

No credit is granted toward the bachelor's degree for college foreign language courses equivalent to quarter levels one and two if the equivalent of level two of the same language was completed with satisfactory grades in high school.

Curricular Requirements

Course requirements for the B.S. degrees include the following categories, depending on curriculum selected:

  1. Fourteen to 21 engineering major field courses (56 to 84 units), depending on curriculum followed
  2. One to 10 engineering core courses (4 to 40 units), depending on curriculum selected
  3. Mathematics courses, ranging from 4 to 12 upper division units; see curricula in individual departments
  4. HSSEAS general education (GE) requirements: (a) English Composition 3, which must be completed with a minimum grade of C by the end of the second year of enrollment at UCLA; (b) six courses from the humanities and social sciences (eight courses for Computer Science majors), with at least two courses from each category; (c) one life sciences course (two courses for Computer Science majors; this requirement is automatically satisfied for Bioengineering and Chemical Engineering majors and for the biomedical option of the Electrical Engineering major)

All lower division courses taken to satisfy items b and c must be selected from the HSSEAS GE course list at http://www.seasoasa.ucla.edu/ge.html. Students interested in taking a foreign language to satisfy this requirement must first consult with an academic counselor in the Office of Academic and Student Affairs, 6426 Boelter Hall.

For item b, at least three courses must be in the same academic department or must otherwise reflect coherence in subject matter. Of the three, at least two must be upper division courses selected from the approved HSSEAS GE course list.

Computer Science, Computer Science and Engineering, and Electrical Engineering majors are also required to satisfy the ethics and professionalism requirement by completing one course from Engineering 95 or 183 or 185, which may be applied toward either the humanities or social sciences section of the GE requirements.

Lists of courses approved to satisfy specific curricular requirements are available from the Office of Academic and Student Affairs.

The following curricula are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET), the nationally recognized accrediting body for engineering programs: aerospace engineering, chemical engineering, civil engineering, computer science and engineering, electrical engineering, materials engineering, and mechanical engineering. The computer science and computer science and engineering curricula are accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET, 111 Market Place, Suite 1050, Baltimore, MD 21202-4012, (410) 347-7700.


It is mandatory for all students entering undergraduate programs to have their course of study approved by an academic counselor. After the first term, curricular and career advising is accomplished on a formal basis. Students are assigned a faculty adviser in their particular specialization in their sophomore year or earlier.

In addition, all undergraduate students are assigned, by major, to an academic counselor in the Office of Academic and Student Affairs who provides them with advice regarding general requirements for the degrees and University and school regulations and procedures. It is the students' responsibility to periodically meet with their academic counselor in the Office of Academic and Student Affairs, as well as with their faculty adviser, to discuss curriculum requirements, programs of study, and any other academic matters of concern.

Curricula Planning Procedure
  1. Students normally follow the curriculum in effect when they enter the school. California community college transfers may also select the curriculum in the catalog in effect at the time they began their community college work in an engineering program, providing attendance has been continuous since that time.
  2. All HSSEAS undergraduates may use the computerized HSSEAS Academic Program Planner (APP), an interactive self-advising system that informs users if their academic programs meet the requirements for graduation. Students beginning upper division coursework in the major are required to submit an Academic Program Proposal to the Office of Academic and Student Affairs for approval by the associate dean.

The student's regular faculty adviser is available to assist in planning electives and for discussions regarding career objectives. Students should discuss their elective plan with the adviser and obtain the adviser's approval.

Students should also see any member or members of the faculty specially qualified in their major for advice in working out a program of major courses.

Students are assigned to advisers by majors and major fields of interest. A specific adviser or an adviser in a particular engineering department may be requested by submitting a Request for Assignment to Faculty Adviser form available in the Office of Academic and Student Affairs.

Academic counselors in the Office of Academic and Student Affairs assist students with University procedures and answer questions related to general requirements.

Passed/Not Passed Grading

Students may take one course per term on a Passed/Not Passed basis if they are in good academic standing and are enrolled in at least three and one-half courses (14 units) for the term. Only HSSEAS general education courses (with the exception of English Composition 3 and the ethics course) may be taken on a Passed/Not Passed basis. For more details on P/NP grading, see the Academic Policies section in the UCLA General Catalog or consult the Office of Academic and Student Affairs.


Dean's Honors List

Students following the engineering curricula are eligible to be named to the Dean's Honors List each term. Minimum requirements are a course load of at least 15 units (12 units of letter grade) with a grade-point average equal to or greater than 3.7. Students are not eligible for the Dean's Honors List if they receive an Incomplete (I) or Not Passed (NP) grade or repeat a course. Only courses applicable to an undergraduate degree are considered toward eligibility for Dean's Honors.

Latin Honors

Students who have achieved scholastic distinction may be awarded the bachelor's degree with honors. Students eligible for 2004-05 University honors at graduation must have completed 90 or more units for a letter grade at the University of California and must have attained a cumulative grade-point average at graduation which places them in the top five percent of the school (GPA of 3.871 or better) for summa cum laude, the next five percent (GPA of 3.770 or better) for magna cum laude, and the next 10 percent (GPA of 3.643 or better) for cum laude.

Based on grades achieved in upper division courses, engineering students must have a 3.871 grade-point average for summa cum laude, a 3.770 for magna cum laude, and a 3.643 for cum laude. For all designations of honors, students must have a minimum 3.25 GPA in their major field courses. To be eligible for an award, students should have completed at least 80 upper division units at the University of California.