Petitions for a 2nd Elective or more than 4 units (up to 8 units) of COM SCI 194 or COM SCI 199 to satisfy a second major field elective credit, are rarely approved.
To have a 2nd COM SCI 194 or COM SCI 199 considered for Major Field Elective Credit:
Please submit the following
- Your CS 199 Report. This should be detailed and formatted like a formal research paper.
- A letter from you addressing the points listed below. For this, you can re-use material that you have already written for the 199 reports:
- (A) Describe and motivate the project goals.
- (B) What were the most significant results of the project and explain why they are significant. What was the most creative, innovative part of what you accomplished and argue why it is creative/innovative.
- (C) What challenges did you encounter? What did it take to over come these? (Mundane things such as bugs in code can be a challenge but, while such challenges can be time consuming and can be mentioned here, it is more meaningful if you can single out more intellectual challenges and accomplishments.)
- (D) What specifically did you have to learn to do the project? What were your sources for learning these things? What CS concepts or skills did you learn as a result of completing this project? Why is this comparable to what you would have learned in two single-quarter upper division CS courses?
- (E) What might be suggested follow-on work to extend this project.
- (F) To support the above items, provide where appropriate related data such as code, experiment descriptions, data gathered,analysis made, proofs of theorems, etc.
- A letter of support from your advisor, addressing the points listed below:
- (A) What CS concepts or skills did the student learn as a result of completing this project? Do you think this is comparable to what the student would have learned in two single-quarter upper division CS courses?
- (B) What experience relevant to CS did the student gain as a result of completing this project? Do you think this is comparable to what the student would have gained in two single-quarter upper division CS courses?