Effective 11:59 p.m. on March 20, UCLA Samueli will suspend all non-essential operations, with minimum staffing to support essential research. Remote learning will continue through the end of spring quarter. Student resources remain available online.
Summer/Fall 2020 Academic Updates
Status of Enrollment for Summer and Fall 2020
Summer 2020 Enrollment
UCLA has decided to transition all Session A and Session C courses to remote learning only. For more information, visit
the Summer Sessions Updates and Alerts page
Fall 2020 Course Enrollment
- UCLA is planning to offer remote, on-site, and hybrid (a combination of on-site and remote) instruction for classes during the fall 2020 term. The Schedule of Classes is available here. On-site offerings are subject to the requirements of the State and County departments of public health (DPH) and UCLA’s related protocols for addressing the global pandemic. As such, an on-site offering will take place with appropriate public health mitigation measures as determined by UCLA and DPH. Please be advised that on-site offerings may convert to remote offerings if the DPH or UCLA require that to adjust to changing public health conditions. Selection of an on-site offering does not guarantee assignment to an on-site offering.
- Why is the number of classes offered on campus significantly reduced for the fall?
Due to the health and safety requirements of physical distancing on-campus courses needed to be reduced. Decisions as to what courses would be offered on campus were determined by each academic department based on a combination of factors such as the structure of courses, instructor availability and room availability
- Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) Guidance Rescinded
Summer 2020 ONLY: P/NP Grading Option and Extension of Drop Deadlines
Summer 2020 ONLY: P/NP Grading Option and extension of deadlines
To further support undergraduate students this Summer 2020, the following exception to normal regulations and policies have been made:
1) To allow students in good standing* to take grade optional courses in a summer session term on a P/NP basis.
All undergraduate courses offered by the school of engineering in summer 2020, including minor and major courses can be taken for P/NP and will meet Samueli Engineering minor and major degree requirements if a student earns a P grade.
*good academic standing means that a student earned a C (2.0) average for the most recent completed term and a cumulative C (2.0) average in all University work. Students NOT in good academic standing* should consult with their academic counselor if considering this P/NP option.
2) To extend the deadline for changing the grading basis on an optionally graded course using MyUCLA without need for a petition to the dates posted at [click here for final dates to change grading basis]
3) To extend the deadline o drop a course using MyUCLA without the need for a petition to the dates as posted at [click here for summer session drop dates]
3) To eliminate the fees to drop a course and to change the grading basis on an optionally graded course after Friday of Week 2.
- If a student is repeating a course that was initially taken for a letter grade, the student must repeat the course on letter grade basis as is detailed in the UCLA catalog.
- Keep in mind to earn a P grade the student’s grade in the course needs to be a C or higher, where if the course is taken for letter grade grades above an F grade are passing (e.g. D-) with the exception of university requirements such as American History and Institutions Requirement, ESL/Writing I and Writing II (ethics courses) must be passed with a minimum C or P to satisfy the requirement. Additionally, in order to meet degree requirements, a student must meet the minimum grade-point average is 2.000 for all course work completed (Cumulative GPA), upper-division courses used for the major (Major Field Upper Division GPA), and required upper-division course work (Upper Division GPA) completed at any UC campus.
- For courses outside of engineering (e.g. Math), if that department designates the grading to be SO (student option LG or P/NP), then engineering students have the grading option.
- Undergraduates that take an S/U graduate-level course will receive a P/NP grade basis. Grading is student-driven, not course-driven (unless it’s mandatory). Even if the course is mandatory S/U, an undergrad will be converted to a P/NP grade basis.
- If a student is on financial aid or scholarship, wanting to meet minimum requirements for Latin Honors, Dean Honors or other honors programs or part of a program or planning to apply to a program that has a minimum grade or graded unit requirement or if a student is planning to apply to graduate programs or medical school you are advised to assure you are still meeting the minimum grade and unit criteria required (unless that Office/Program or School’s graduate program directly has advised you otherwise of exceptions).
- Note: students will not be able to drop to zero units via MyUCLA; this will still require a withdrawal petition. Retroactive drop requests after the extended deadline will be considered but normally not approved.
Fall 2020: At this time normal P/NP policies and drop deadline are in place for Fall 2020 as detailed here
At this time, normal P/NP grading option and enrollment and drop deadlines are in place as detailed at
Filing Petitions Online
Please follow the instructions on the form/s and submit both petition/s & supporting document/s electronically via the Petitions/Exceptions Message Center
Students will be notified of petition results via Message Center.
Virtual Undergraduate Academic Advising Options
- COUNSELING SESSIONS
At present, for the convenience of our students, Samueli Engineering undergraduate counseling sessions with our academic counselors will be virtual or online as follows:
For Samueli Engineering Students:
- Online, MyUCLA Message Center [click here]
- Virtual appointments can now be scheduled and will be conducted remotely via Zoom. To schedule an appointment [click here]
For questions on how to set up and use Zoom [click here]
- Virtual ZOOM walk-in advising available, no appointment needed.
Once students connect using the zoom links below, within the periods specified, the student will be brought in to advising from a virtual waiting room, based on the order the student logs in, major, and counselor availability. Expect some wait time before your session begins.
– Wednesday 10:30 am-noon [for Zoom walk-in session link click here]*
– Thursday 2:30 pm-4:00 pm [for Zoom walk-in session link click here]*
*There will be no walk-in advising July 29th, August 5th, August 12th, August 20th, August 27th, September 3rd, September 9th, or September 17th due to freshmen and transfer new student orientation.
- If you prefer a telephone appointment, send your:
name, UID, your available times,
note that you request a telephone appointment
and reason for the appointment
to our Appointment Message Center [click here]
You will receive a confirmation before your appointment dateFor students in majors NOT in Samueli Engineering:
- Online, MyUCLA Message Center [click here]
- See our change of major website, change of major
workshops in the spring will be virtual [click here]
If you have any further questions, please leave a voicemail at (310) 825-9580, and we will call back in a timely manner to assist you
Graduate Students – graduate counselors contact information – click here
Grading Option - S/U exception for Summer 2020
For Summer 2020 ONLY, all graduate courses offered by the school of engineering, including major courses can be taken for a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory basis. Courses that were normally designated letter grade only can still be taken for a letter grade or S/U for Summer 2020. Students may enroll for Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grading for any graduate or upper-division course offered by an engineering department and if an S grade is earned may apply toward requirements. If a student is repeating a course that was initially taken for a letter grade, the student must repeat the course on letter grade basis as is detailed in the UCLA catalog.
Students not in good academic standing* should consult with their graduate student affair officer if considering this S/U option.
**good academic standing means that a student earned a B (3.0) average for the most recent completed term and a cumulative B (3.0) average in all University work.
Keep in mind to earn an S grade the student’s grade in the course needs to be a B or higher.
For course outside of engineering (e.g. Math), if that department designates the grading to be “SO” student option LG or S/U, then engineering students have the option to take that course S/U also to meet degree requirements.
Graduates that take a P/NP undergraduate-level course will receive a S/U grade basis. Grading is student-driven, not course driven (unless it’s mandatory). Even if the course is mandatory P/NP, a graduate student will be converted to a S/U grade basis.
Resources and Helpful Links
- COVID-19 BRUIN RESOURCES & TOOLS
Remote learning, adjusting to website by the Center for the Advancement of Teaching
- Res Life has many virtual student events to help build community