Status of Enrollment for Spring 2021
Spring Course Enrollment
- UCLA continues to curtail its plans for spring in-person instruction for the quarter and greatly reduce the amount of student housing offered, in accordance with directives by the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health. UCLA Newsroom article
- Status of Fall 2021 instruction
- International Students with an F1-Visa – updates from the Dashew Center
Updates and Resources
- Information for the Campus Community
- University Housing Frequently asked questions
- Res Life has many virtual student events to help build community
- UCLA Virtual Communities
- Technology for remote learning
- Remote learning, adjusting to website by the Center for the Advancement of Teaching
Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) Virtual Support Services
PNP Grading Option
Spring 2021, Summer 2021
The Undergraduate Council and the Samueli Engineering Faculty Executive Committee extended the deadline for undergraduate students to change the grading basis for
a grading optional (GrdTyp :SO) course, using MyUCLA without a petition, to:
- Spring 2021 deadline Friday of Week 9 (May 28, 2021) with per-class fee through MyUCLA by 5pm . Normally, this deadline is Friday of Week 6.
- Summer 2021 deadlines subject to summer session enrolled as posted at https://summer.ucla.edu/calendar
The Samueli Engineering Faculty Executive Committee has approved the below exception for Spring 2021, Summer 2021 to the normal P/NP policy:
P/NP courses for major and minor requirements (for Spring 2021, Summer 2021)
For Winter Spring 2021, Summer 2021, an undergraduate engineering student in good standing may enroll in one grading optional (GrdTyp :SO) course (maximum 5 units) on a P/NP basis. A student who has not elected the P/NP option, if eligible, in the immediate previous term (last regular term enrolled (excludes summer) ) may petition two grading optional courses to be taken P/NP (maximum 10 units).
A grade of P shall be awarded only for work that would otherwise receive a grade of C or better. Courses in which a letter grade is received may NOT be repeated on a P/NP basis. Courses originally taken on a P/NP basis may be repeated on the same basis or for a letter grade.
For engineering undergraduate students, a grade of P will satisfy engineering major and engineering minor requirements for Spring 2021, Summer 2021
If you are a student not in a Samueli Engineering major or minor, you need to check with the non-engineering major or minor academic counselor to determine if a grade of P is accepted for that major or minor.
Please note that choosing the pnp grading option might impact your eligibility for deans honors, latin honors or programs where criteria has a minimum graded unit requirement; therefore, it is the student’s responsibility to take that into consideration before selecting the pnp grading option.
for further information on Samueli Engineering enrollment deadlines and polices refer to
Filing Petitions Online
Please follow the instructions on the form/s and submit both petition/s & supporting document/s electronically via the Petitions/Exceptions Message Center
Students will be notified of petition results via Message Center.
Virtual Undergraduate Academic Advising Options
- COUNSELING SESSIONS
At present, for the convenience of our students, Samueli Engineering undergraduate counseling sessions with our academic counselors will be virtual or online as follows:
For Samueli Engineering Students:
- Online, MyUCLA Message Center
- Virtual appointments can now be scheduled and will be conducted remotely via Zoom. To schedule an appointment use the online appointment scheduler
Questions on how to set up and use Zoom refer to Zoom support
- Virtual ZOOM walk-in advising available, no appointment needed.
Once students connect using the zoom links below, within the periods specified, the student will be brought in to advising from a virtual waiting room, based on the order the student logs in, major, and counselor availability. Expect some wait time before your session begins.
- Wednesday 10:30 am-noon [Wednesday Zoom walk-in session link]
- Thursday 2:30 pm-4:00 pm [Thursday Zoom walk-in session link]
- If you prefer a telephone appointment, send your:
name, UID, your available times,
note that you request a telephone appointment
and reason for the appointment
to our Appointment Message Center
You will receive a confirmation before your appointment date
For students in majors NOT in Samueli Engineering:
- Online, MyUCLA Message Center
- See our change of major website, change of major
workshops in the fall will be virtual
If you have any further questions, please leave a voicemail at (310) 825-9580, and we will call back in a timely manner to assist you
Graduate Students (graduate counselor’s contact information – click here)
For Spring 2021 and Summer 2021 (subject to summer course offerings) ONLY,
the Graduate Program faculty of each academic department has voted on its graduate student grading policy as follows*:
(*please refer questions to your department graduate student affairs officer)
The Bioengineering Engineering Department has votedto keep the graduate BIOENGR grade-only courses as GrdTyp LG (normal grading policies).
- The Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering faculty have voted to:
1) allow S/U OPTION grading for all regular letter grade 200-level classes(not including classes such as 297/298 that are regularly S/U).2) there is no course or unit limit
The Civil and Environmental Engineering Department has votedto keep the graduate C&EE grade-only courses as GrdTyp LG (normal grading policies).
- The Computer Science Department has voted to:
1) Allow the S/U grading option for all 200-level computer science
classes for and allow degree requirements to be
satisfied with earned S.
2) Allow graduate students to take at most one class S/U .
- Engineering MSOL (Masters of Engineering, Online program)
1) Allo 200 level ENGR courses the S/U option
2) Limited to two (2) S/U courses for the quarter
The Electrical and Computer Engineering Department has voted to
keep the EC ENGR grade only courses as GrdTyp LG (normal grading policies).
- The Department of Materials Engineering faculty has voted to
1) allow S/U option for graduate courses
2) The department did not set a limit for its students on how many classes can be S/U
The Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering faculty have voted to1) to allow the S/U option on all regular-letter MECH&AE graduate courses2) the MAE Department faculty have voted to allow graduate students to take up to one regular-letter class as S/U.
Graduate Students in the MAE Department may take no more than one grade-optional course using S/U grading.
If a student is repeating a course that was initially taken for a letter grade, the student must repeat the course on letter grade basis as is detailed in the UCLA catalog.
Students not in good academic standing* should consult with their graduate student affair officer if considering this S/U option.
**good academic standing means that a student earned a B (3.0) average for the most recent completed term and a cumulative B (3.0) average in all University work.
Keep in mind to earn an S grade the student’s grade in the course needs to be a B or higher.
Graduates that take a P/NP undergraduate-level course will receive a S/U grade basis. Grading is student-driven, not course-driven (unless it’s mandatory). Even if the course is mandatory P/NP, a graduate student will be converted to a S/U grade basis.