Effective 11:59 p.m. on March 20, UCLA Samueli will suspend all non-essential operations, with minimum staffing to support essential research. Remote learning will continue through the end of spring quarter. Student resources remain available online.
Fall 2020 Academic Updates
Status of Enrollment for Fall 2020
Fall 2020 Course Enrollment
- UCLA has shifted to mostly remote coursework.
UCLA will further curtail its plans for in-person instruction for the fall quarter and greatly reduce the amount of student housing offered, in accordance with directives by the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health. UCLA Newsroom article
- International Students with an F1-Visa – updates from the Dashew Center
Updates and Resources
- Information for the Campus Community
- University Housing Frequently asked questions
- Res Life has many virtual student events to help build community
- UCLA Virtual Communities
- BRUIN RESOURCES & TOOLS
- Technology for remote learning
- Remote learning, adjusting to website by the Center for the Advancement of Teaching
Fall 2020: Exception to Pass /Not Pass grading option and deadline for Fall 2020
Fall 2020 Deadline:
The Undergraduate Council and the Samueli Engineering Faculty Executive Committee extended the deadline for undergraduate students to change the grading basis of an optionally graded course, using MyUCLA without a petition, to Friday of Week 9 in Fall 2020 (December 4, 2020). Normally, this deadline is Friday of Week 6.
P/NP courses for major and minor requirements (for Fall 2020)
An undergraduate engineering student in good standing may enroll in one grading optional course (maximum 5 units) on a P/NP basis. A student who has not elected the P/NP option, if eligible, in the immediate previous term (last regular term enrolled (excludes summer) ) may take two grading optional courses P/NP (maximum 10 units).
A grade of P shall be awarded only for work which would otherwise receive a grade of C or better. Courses in which a letter grade is received may NOT be repeated on a P/NP basis. Courses originally taken on a P/NP basis may be repeated on the same basis or for a letter grade.
For engineering undergraduate students, a grade of P will satisfy engineering major and engineering minor requirements for fall.
If you are a student not in a Samueli Engineering major or minor, you need to check with the non-engineering major or minor academic counselor to determine if a grade of P is accepted for that major or minor.
for further information on Samueli Engineering enrollment deadlines and polices refer to
Filing Petitions Online
Please follow the instructions on the form/s and submit both petition/s & supporting document/s electronically via the Petitions/Exceptions Message Center
Students will be notified of petition results via Message Center.
Virtual Undergraduate Academic Advising Options
- COUNSELING SESSIONS
At present, for the convenience of our students, Samueli Engineering undergraduate counseling sessions with our academic counselors will be virtual or online as follows:
For Samueli Engineering Students:
- Online, MyUCLA Message Center
- Virtual appointments can now be scheduled and will be conducted remotely via Zoom. To schedule an appointment use the online appointment scheduler
Questions on how to set up and use Zoom refer to Zoom support
- Virtual ZOOM walk-in advising available, no appointment needed.
Once students connect using the zoom links below, within the periods specified, the student will be brought in to advising from a virtual waiting room, based on the order the student logs in, major, and counselor availability. Expect some wait time before your session begins.
- Wednesday 10:30 am-noon [Wednesday Zoom walk-in session link]
- Thursday 2:30 pm-4:00 pm [Thursday Zoom walk-in session link]
- If you prefer a telephone appointment, send your:
name, UID, your available times,
note that you request a telephone appointment
and reason for the appointment
to our Appointment Message Center
You will receive a confirmation before your appointment date
For students in majors NOT in Samueli Engineering:
- Online, MyUCLA Message Center
- See our change of major website, change of major
workshops in the fall will be virtual
If you have any further questions, please leave a voicemail at (310) 825-9580, and we will call back in a timely manner to assist you
Graduate Students (graduate counselor’s contact information – click here)
Grading Option - Fall 2020
For Fall 2020 ONLY,
the Graduate Program faculty of each academic department have voted on it’s graduate student grading for fall as follows*:
(*please refer questions to your department graduate student affairs officer)
The Bioengineering Engineering Department has votedto keep the graduate BIOENGR grade only courses as GrdTyp LG (normal grading policies back in place for Fall 2020).
- The Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering faculty have vote to:
1) allow S/U OPTION grading for all regular letter grade 200-level classes(not including classes such as 297/298 that are regularly S/U).2) there is no course or unit limit
- The Civil and Environmental Engineering Department has voted
to keep the C&EE grade only courses as GrdTyp LG (normal grading policies back in placefor Fall 2020).
- The Computer Science Department has voted to:
1) Allow the S/U grading option for all 200-level computer science
classes for fall 2020 quarter and allow degree requirements to be
satisfied by classes taken S/U for fall quarter.
2) Allow graduate students to take at most one class S/U during fall 2020
The Electrical and Computer Engineering Department has voted to
keep the EC ENGR grade only courses as GrdTyp LG (normal grading policies back in place for Fall 2020).
- The Department of Materials Engineering faculty has voted to
1) allow S/U option for graduate courses in 20F.
2) The department did not set a limit for its students on how many classes can be S/U
The Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering faculty have voted to1) to allow the S/U option on all regular-letter MECH&AE graduate courses.2) the MAE Department faculty have voted to allow graduate students to take up to one regular-letter class as S/U.
Graduate Students in the MAE Department may take no more than one grade-optional course using S/U grading.
If a student is repeating a course that was initially taken for a letter grade, the student must repeat the course on letter grade basis as is detailed in the UCLA catalog.
Students not in good academic standing* should consult with their graduate student affair officer if considering this S/U option.
**good academic standing means that a student earned a B (3.0) average for the most recent completed term and a cumulative B (3.0) average in all University work.
Keep in mind to earn an S grade the student’s grade in the course needs to be a B or higher.
Graduates that take a P/NP undergraduate-level course will receive a S/U grade basis. Grading is student-driven, not course driven (unless it’s mandatory). Even if the course is mandatory P/NP, a graduate student will be converted to a S/U grade basis.