Degree Candidate Information
Information for Graduating Students
Upcoming Office and Campus closures: Friday, March 29, 2013 (Cesar Chavez Holiday)
Deadline for declaration or change of bachelor's degree candidacy must be done on URSA BEFORE 172 units for Engineering students without a fee.
Important things to do ONE QUARTER before your degree expected term
- You may declare or change your degree expected term on URSA until second week of the quarter prior to your degree expected term.
- After second week of the term prior to your degree expected term, you must declare your degree expected term in person at 1113 Murphy Hall or complete and mail the Declaration of Degree Candidacy form.
- File a HSSEAS Statement of Degree Candidacy (SDC) form
Winter and Spring degree candidates
Winter & Spring degree candidates must file a HSSEAS Statement of Degree Candidacy (SDC) form beginning 4th week one term before their degree expected term.
Summer and Fall Degree CandidatesSummer & Fall degree candidates must file a HSSEAS Statement of Degree Candidacy (SDC) form at the start of the Spring quarter. If you are interested in early participation in the HSSEAS Commencement Ceremony then you must also file the request for "Special Request To Participate in HSSEAS Commencement Ceremony" form otherwise you will automatically be invited to participate in the ceremony of the academic year in which you graduate; next year. Fourth week of Spring quarter, approximately 15-20 working days of submitting the SDC, you will receive an audit of your requirements via email.
- Declare your Technical Breadth Area on CourseWeb (if you are following a 2006-2007 or later catalog year) AND EE, ChE, C&EE, BE & MSE Majors also declare Option/Pathway/Track on CourseWeb (if you are following a 2006-2007 or later catalog year)
- Immediately email the HSSEAS Degree Auditor, firstname.lastname@example.org, if there are any discrepancies to your degree audit as you will be held responsible for them.
Keep and use the degree audit (PDF) as your check list.
If you intend to graduate with a minor or double major, you must be admitted to that program before your final term. Once you have completed your degree, you may not add a double major or minor.
No matter what your major, send the HSSEAS Degree Auditor all your questions for a speedy reply: email@example.com
- HSSEAS students can check requirements via DARS.
- Complete the mandatory Degree Audit Process One Quarter before your degree expected term.
- The minimum units allowed for HSSEAS students are between 185 and 190, depending on the program.
- The required minimum grade-point average is 2.000 for all course work completed (Cumulative GPA), all upper division course work used for the major (Major Field Upper Division GPA), and all required upper division course work (Upper Division GPA) completed at any UC campus.
- Of the last 48 units completed for the B.S. degree, 36 must be earned in academic residence in HSSEAS on this campus. No more than 16 of the 36 units may be completed in Summer Sessions at UCLA.
- Students that participate in the UCLA EAP program must be aware that UCLA does not include units taken through UCLA EAP as in residence. If you exceed the residency unit amount while at UCLA EAP, a university petition, for review and consideration, must be filed at 6426BH prior to studying abroad.
- Outstanding students may be eligible for Latin Honors at graduation.
- Students with specific requirement questions should consult with their academic counselors in 6426 Boelter Hall.
Important Information if you received your Degree Audit
Degree Candidates are advised to review their transcripts before degree completion and immediately upon posting of final term grades. You must immediately notify your HSSEAS Degree Auditor firstname.lastname@example.org of any failed, non-passing, incomplete or "DR" grades OR of any changes to your academic record. Your degree will be awarded upon successful completion of final coursework. On degree conferral, the undergraduate record is closed. Students may not graduate in one term and then retroactively add majors, minors, or specializations or complete course work or add/drop courses, and so forth.
The deadline to file for a fee reduction is Friday of second week of the quarter if you are eligible and wish to receive a fee reduction at HSSEAS Office of Academic and Student Affairs, 6426 BH.
You will be required to pay your full fees by the University's deadlines. If the Fee Reduction Request is approved you will receive a fee refund. The refund is a reduction of the Tuition by one-half and a reduction of the Nonresident Supplemental Tuition Fee by one-half.
Eligibility for the fee reduction
As a HSSEAS student, you may be eligible for a fee reduction if you are a degree candidate for any one of your last three academic terms and are enrolled in 10 units or less in one of those terms. If you choose to file these petitions in a quarter prior to your final term, then you will not be approved for a fee reduction in your final term. You may only receive a fee reduction once in your last three academic terms on the basis of being a degree candidate.
If you wish to have a fee reduction for your final term, you must first:
- Follow the degree audit process and
- Receive confirmation from the degree auditor that you need no more than 10 units to complete your degree requirements and that you will be completing your degree at the end of the quarter in question. The degree auditor will inform you of the necessary paperwork to be filed.
Or if you wish to have a fee reduction for one of your last three academic terms (not your final term), go to the HSSEAS Office of Academic and Student Affairs, 6426 BH for more information on the petition process.
You may also be eligible for a fee reduction if you are a student who for reasons of family responsibilities or health is not able to attend full time and needs to enroll in 10 units or less. It is presumed that your part-time student status is of a long-term nature and valid documentation must be provided. For more information on the petition process go to the HSSEAS Office of Academic and Student Affairs, 6426BH.For more information, please go to the HSSEAS Office of Academic and Student Affairs, 6426BH.